× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7300 Slow Speeds

Zirconium
Tutor

EX7300 Slow Speeds

I use a Nighthawk X4 WiFi Range Extender; the only problem is that the speeds are worse when I did a comparasion with my Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router. I'm aware it is normal that the EXT network is suppposed to be slower than the normal wifi network.

Can I use Netgear Powerline 2000 (PLP2000) to fix the speeds of the EXT network by makeing it an access point using a ethernet cord from the Netgear Powerline 2000 (PLP2000)?

The Powerline adapters are not recommended to be plugged into a power strip, surge protector, Uninterruptible Power upplies (UPS) or extension cord, but can the Nighthawk X4 WiFi Range Extender be plugged into them?

Model: EX7300|AC2200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @Zirconium,

Speed depends on distance, obstacles as well as interference devices including devices on the network and their utilization of speed. In AP mode, if you can try to minimize the distance between devices and AP, you could witness better speed compared to extender mode since distance might be more.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @Zirconium,

Did you tried looking for firmware upgrade if any for EX7300? Yes, it can be used by connecting to power strip.

Message 2 of 8
Zirconium
Tutor

Yes, I have updated the firmware. The speed are still looking like they've been cut in half. I have tried changing to Fast Lane. There isn't a significant difference. What about the idea of using PowerLine to make it an access point?
Message 3 of 8
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @Zirconium,

Did you tried modifying wireless channel on Router to see if that make a change? Yes, you can use this as AP with a powerline adapter, but speed might impact a bit when you connect devices wireless.

Message 4 of 8
Zirconium
Tutor

I have used the NETGEAR WiFi Analytics app to see which is the best channel to be on. They were already on good channels on default. I have noticed speeds are affected when there are more wireless devices connected to WiFi even though they're not directly connected to the extender.
Message 5 of 8
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @Zirconium,

Yes. Thats true. If there are more devices which is utilizing the overall internet speed, it'll drop since it is been shared by all devices.

Message 6 of 8
Zirconium
Tutor

So the EXT network is slower compared to the normal WiFi network. Is it better to use EX7300 in access point mode rather than extender mode? Or there isn't a significant difference in speed performance? 

Message 7 of 8
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @Zirconium,

Speed depends on distance, obstacles as well as interference devices including devices on the network and their utilization of speed. In AP mode, if you can try to minimize the distance between devices and AP, you could witness better speed compared to extender mode since distance might be more.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7