× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7300 extender works with iOS and Roku but not Windows

kjshan
Tutor

EX7300 extender works with iOS and Roku but not Windows

I configured my NetGear extender using the 2G/5G bands and one name/password. However my devices will connect except my Windows computer. I think it my be something in my security settings or IP settings that are in conflict. I am using Spectrum for internet and Roku/Fire sticks to stream TV and mostly iPad/MacBooks for personal devices. We have 2 windows laptops for business use we can’t connect. When we unplug NetGear there is no problem using WiFi. I think I had to change something to get the Roku to work, but I don’t remember what I changed, maybe static IP?

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7300 extender works with iOS and Roku but not Windows

Have you went into your window's device, "forgot" the network, and tried to reconnect?

What error are you getting? 

What spectrum router is it?

do your work laptops connect with a vpn?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you went into your window's device, "forgot" the network, and tried to reconnect?

What error are you getting? 

What spectrum router is it?

do your work laptops connect with a vpn?

Message 2 of 8
kjshan
Tutor

It appears that forgetting the WiFi network and reconnecting did the trick - thank you for the reminder/tip! I have used this NetGear Extender before, and I guess it remembered when I tried it unsuccessfully in the past. Now we are good to go with all of our devices.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it worked!
Message 4 of 8
kjshan
Tutor

I am still having connectivity issues. It appears my solution was only temporary. My windows laptop and iOS devices are up and running, but the ROKU TVs appear to be having connectivity issues. There are not that many settings a user can change in the setup screen that I am aware of, and I am not a super-techy person. I was just following the directions for "smart setup." I did some reading here on the forum to try to trouble-shoot:

1. One Network Name

2. 2G/5G share passwords

3. Use smart connect

4. Do not use static IP

I know there are other settings to change that are more advanced. Is there something, like the PIN. Is this something that is causing the Roku to fail? I am not having an issue with my Amazon Fire TV.

It is frustrating because it will work for a while and then fail. Maybe it loses connection and then it can't re-connect and doesn't know which network to select? Should I try just using two different networks, and manually switch our other devices?

We really need an extender because of the size and age of our house. The standard modem will not provide service to the second floor, and we can't get cellular coverage in our area without the wifi-enabled service.

If I can't get the AC2200 to work, I may need to look into purchasing a different product like a Google Nest or something. I have read they are easy to configure and work well with Roku.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

How big is your house? 

What are the interior walls made up of? Certain materials block wifi more than others.

I read, a while ago, about some of the roku devices having issues with either the higher band 5ghz channels or lower band 5ghz channels. I can't remember which is was. You can try changing the wifi channels on the extender to see if it'd work. 

What router are you connecting back to? I know you said spectrum but a model number helps. Some ISP supplied routers are junk.

Have you tried setting a static address for your roku through your primary router? 

If you go into your roku (when its working), run roku's network check.

https://support.roku.com/article/115015678567-how-do-i-check-the-connection-to-my-home-network-and-t...

This can tell you important info about how good the connection the roku has to the devices its connecting to.

Another question on layout. Where is the roku in relation to the extender and router? potentially the roku could be trying to connect to the router and not the extender and because of distance/poor signal then be having issues. The one ssid name feature works great for most devices but maybe it causes issues with roku devices. 

If your house is that big, an Orbi setup works great. I've been running them for years and love how well they funciton. 

Message 6 of 8
kjshan
Tutor

The two Roku devices are located in different parts of the house. One is on the second floor and the other is in an adjacent room to the Charter modem. I did try the static IP address but my iOS devices did not seem to like that setting and would not browse using Safari. Our house is from the 1920’s and has really thick plaster and is > 4000 sqft. The Charter modem and router is new but doesn’t have a brand name or model on it. I had the installer put it on top of my kitchen cabinet which is about 9 feet up on the first floor in the center of our house. It is open on the shelf (not closed in a cabinet) so it could broadcast to other rooms.

This is where I had my AT&T fiber equipment located for years and it seemed like a good central spot. We do have a third floor with an old coax line dropping down the second floor TV Den. This is directly above the room where the equipment is residing now. I could have an installer hard-wire it upstairs if that could produce a stronger signal.

I am wondering if I just upgrade to something newer/easier. Perhaps the configuration on the NetGear extender is just not compatible with the variety of our electronics and my novice networking capabilities?
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

I think most of your issues is coming from the construction of your house. Plaster lathe is great at blocking wifi. It usually has mortar with a bed of either chicken wire or metal mesh for the mortar to adhere to. both excellent materials at blocking wifi.  Especially the 5ghz band which is the best band for wifi streaming.

and its tough to tell you about the charter box. The extender can only be as good as the router. If even the roku that is an adjacent room, is having issues with streaming directly off the charter router, the issue might be both the charter router and the home construction.

Plus 4000 sq ft is a bigger home. I've got 3300sq ft with sheetrock/wood construction and I run a mesh network with multiple satellites for best coverage. You're trying to cover your area with a ISP supplied router and a single extender all while in a large home with walls that make wifi transmission difficult. it sounds like a recipe for issues with streaming

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7