× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7500 Firmware Install Hang

Chuck72kcc
Tutor

EX7500 Firmware Install Hang

I started a firmware install this morning - it ran for over 2 hours and it appears to have hung up as it never finsihed - in fact it never got past 3% completed. I have tried a factory reset several times - and all that happens is I get the power button on to blue - but there is stops and I can't log onto it to have it join my network.  The Reset seems to have no effect either at this point.

I'm guess the firmware update got stuck and I am looking at a complete loss of this extender...

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Chuck72kcc
Tutor

Short story it is working...

Long Story - I used your 192.168.1.250 address hint and that got me into the process. This was after I did the 30/30/30 reset. Still didn't get through the process, however I was able to log into the device using the 250 address, but never say saw the "_EXT" wireless network, nor 2.4/5GB lights.

But having gotten logged in and into the software I found the "Software Reset" icon so I figured "why not" and let that run...that took some time, but after that I got the "_EXT" network and after that I was able to go through the entire setup process.

Also I ran through just about anything I could and found the Firmware update had indeed happened and Extender was at V1.0.0.68_1.0.76 level - which is the latest it said.

So in the end with some patience and your help it is functioning...."unbricked". Much thanks!!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

it should take at max 5 minutes. 

What are all the led's on the extender doing? You might indeed have a corrupt firmware issue. 

When you factory reset, did you hold for up to 30 seconds while powered on? 

If you did corrupt it, you might be able to recover it with tftp. 

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

In the future, I'd recommend updating firmware oaver a hardwired connection for the best results. 

Message 2 of 8
Chuck72kcc
Tutor

Thanks for the info - I am a MAC user...however  I have held the reset button (just now) for +30 seconds - same issue - I get just the power button but I can't signon to Netgear-Ext - says I'm not connected.  I also tried the WPS process and it runs - but I never get the lights for either 2.4 or 5G lit...  as you said and I suspected I have a busted firmware process..

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Does the wif signal broadcast? you just can't connect? 

And I should have looked closer, the EX7500 doesn't have an ethernet port to do a tftp process anyway. 

have you tried a 30/30/30 reset?

Push and hold reset for 30 seconds while its powered on, then power it off all while holding reset for 30 more seconds, and then power it back on while still holding reset for 30 more seconds? 

Message 4 of 8
Chuck72kcc
Tutor

Thanks again - tried the 30/30/30 and this time I got flashing yellow lights on WiFi/2.4G/5G lines as it stepped through the 3rd 30 secs.  However after that last 30 secs ended I had same issue - the Power LED is lit blue and I select the "-EXT" WiFi circuit as directed to start the Install Assistant and I'm told I'm not connected!!  Despite the MAC saying I am (or at least seeing and getting on the 2.4G side of things - and even the 2.4G LED lights up...  

I also tried the WPS install process - nothing more to report on that either - it seemingly runs through whatever it is doing but when it is over neither the 2.4 or 5G LEDs are lit...

So I think I have a bricked EX7500....I won't attempt another Netgear Firmware update again even though I know it is something one should do being an old IT guy...

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

If the extender power light is solid blue, it usually indicates that its on.

Do you have a different device you could try connecting to it?

When you're connected via the wireless signal, can you try going to 192.168.1.250? its the default ip address. 

sometimes it'll work when mywifiext . net doesn't. 

Message 6 of 8
Chuck72kcc
Tutor

Short story it is working...

Long Story - I used your 192.168.1.250 address hint and that got me into the process. This was after I did the 30/30/30 reset. Still didn't get through the process, however I was able to log into the device using the 250 address, but never say saw the "_EXT" wireless network, nor 2.4/5GB lights.

But having gotten logged in and into the software I found the "Software Reset" icon so I figured "why not" and let that run...that took some time, but after that I got the "_EXT" network and after that I was able to go through the entire setup process.

Also I ran through just about anything I could and found the Firmware update had indeed happened and Extender was at V1.0.0.68_1.0.76 level - which is the latest it said.

So in the end with some patience and your help it is functioning...."unbricked". Much thanks!!

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it up and runnin!
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7