× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7500 Range extender drops connections

DaddyMac2
Tutor

EX7500 Range extender drops connections

I have the EX7500 range extender and the X10 router.  The range extender is consistently dropping connections and needs to be re connected to the router to fix.  I have tried changing channels and this doesn't fix.  Sometimes when I access the extender,  it shows that both bands are working properly, but nothing gets any bandwidth.

I recently unplugged the extender and other than the bandwidth in the upstairs of the house being slower, I at least dont have everyone in my family complaining about the loss of connection.

NetGear,  I have been a user of your products for many years and have no problem spending what I need to in order to get the performance that I want.  However, If this can't be resolved, I am going to have to look for a different solution.

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band Wall Plug WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 33
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DaddyMac2,

Welcome to the community!

1. What is the firmware version of the extender?

2. When the connection drops, are the extender networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz) still visible?

3. Have you tried resetting the extender?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 33
DaddyMac2
Tutor

Firmware up to date,

yes, they are still visible but cannot always be connected to.

i have restarted numerous times.

trying as a mesh with single sign on

Message 3 of 33
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DaddyMac2,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 4 of 33
Gibberish
Aspirant

I’m running into a similar issue. When extender is plugged in the connection is sporadic. I can always connect to the WiFi but internet access isn’t available. When I unplug the extender all works well but devices in corners of the house or backyard can’t get a good connection.

What is the solution here?
Message 5 of 33
misterchan
Initiate

@DexterJB, I also have the same problem. What is the solution? Can you please post on the forum to help others that come afterwards rather than just sending directly to someone’s inbox.
Message 6 of 33
weltzinbrau
Aspirant

Same problem. Please share the recommended fix.
Message 7 of 33
Gibberish
Aspirant

No fix. Resolution was to move my router to a more central location and through the extender in the trash.
Message 8 of 33
Koetje2508
Aspirant

Hi Netgear,

I have the same problem, my range extender is dropping connections very often with my netgear nighthawk R7000. As many of you I use netgear for many years now, but it is becoming anoying to everytime unplug and plug in device. I already moved the range extender to different locations in my house 1st floor, 2nd floor, outside in the garden but still dropping connections and even not able to connect to device as well even network is available. Please provide a solution.

Message 9 of 33
Cheddar2019
Aspirant

Hi Netgear 

im experiencing the same problem as those above. Latest firmware, many resets, only solution is to turn it off and move closer to the router to get my work done!

is there a solution or do we own lemons?

ill be taking this piece of trash back if Netgear can’t resolve the issue.

Message 10 of 33
misterchan
Initiate

I sent mine back and got a replacement unit. It still had the same problem, so I junked both it and the Nighthawk R8000 and bought an Orbi RBK50 instead. Works as advertised.
Message 11 of 33
lcharlie
Initiate

Having the same issue and more so after the most recent firmware upgrade.  Is there a fix?  Netgear, you are ruining your brand here.  Please come up with a resolution.  I have a R7000 and two ex7500 and I am about to get rid of them all.

Message 12 of 33
SilvexPhoto
Aspirant

This is starting to sound like a broken record. Most of my network gear is from Netgear, but this extender it is FAILING to provide the functionality we PAID for.

When it is connected to the router, works. Unfortunately it keeps dropping the connection and ONLY a restart fixes the problem.

Netgear, please provide a fix to your paying customers!

P.S. Yes it has the latest firmware.

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 13 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the main host router the NG extender is connected too?

What channels are you using on the main host router?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and extender(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 14 of 33
trf000
Tutor

Yeah, same issues as above, but some extra. I have two Roku TV's in 2 bedrooms, and another in my living room. When one bedroom tv is connected to the 5g network, the other is blocked from it forcing it to the 2.4 g network.

house is 2400 square feet, router is in the middle of the house in the back, 10 feet in the air. Extender is about 35 feet away, in an outlet that is about 7 feet up. There are two walls between the extender and the router. It constantly drops connections and freezes all the tv's.

Did a factory reset on both the router and extender, forgot all the old connections, created new ones. same issue. If the answer is buy more, then someone else will be getting my money.

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 15 of 33
Kliptic
Guide

Myself included, 15 people have confirmed within this thread to be having the same issue. This problem has persisted for a while now but there is still no solutions provided or expected fix date communicated. Will the next firmware finally address this issue?

Message 16 of 33
trf000
Tutor

I ended up doing something I did not want to do. I disabled the one name feature. This has made it so I have a strong wifi signal in the parts of the house where signal dropped prior to getting the Mesh Extender. The problem is now I have two networks, and my google assistant/home devices cannot control items on the EXT network.

awe.

some.

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 17 of 33
DaddyMac2
Tutor

Unfortunately, it has become clear that Netgear has completely failled with this product and abandoned its customers.  I have disconnected mine and put it in a drawer.  The only reason that I haven't thrown it out is because it wasn't cheap.

After being a Netgear customer for many years, I will be looking elsewhere when it is time to upgrade again.

Message 18 of 33
Kliptic
Guide

I feel bad even trying to selling mine to anyone else. I don't know why I was seeing good reviews everywhere. Since this isn't being fixed, we should do our due diligence and warn the community to stay away from the Netgear extender.

Can anyone recommend another mesh-extender (not Google, too pricey).
Message 19 of 33
Cashrus
Initiate

Do any of these work properly?? I even tried it in the same room as the R7000 router and it still drops. The reviews are clearly bogus. I was thrilled when I first fired it up but it didn’t even last 2 hours. WTF. Why isn’t Netgear taking care of this?
Message 20 of 33
ignatiusw
Initiate

I have the exact same issue, internet connection keeps dropping every few hours, worse on the 5GHz, less so (but still dropping internet connection) on 2.4GHz. Wi-fi connection is still there, just not internet. Looks like this is a failed product. Netgear should recall this product and refund or replace with something that works!

Message 21 of 33
dancer1945
Aspirant

I also have a R7000 router. Eversince i unplugged EX7500 extender my internet connection got better. Before, all my nest outdoor cameras were getting offline from time to time. now that the extender is unplugged, the cameras are always connected. i have till 8/5/19 to return the extender to amazon.

Message 22 of 33
Camdogrs
Aspirant

Same issues with mine as well. About to just trash the thing. Walk by it in my hallway and it disconnects.
Message 23 of 33
SilvexPhoto
Aspirant

I gave up on it and paid to have two CAT6A cables run to my living room and master bedroom. Problem solved!

Netgear, you have shown us that you are no longer a caring company for your paying customers.

Message 24 of 33
Mr_Rob
Initiate

Really disheartening to see all these reports of the same problem I am having with no hope of a resolution. I'm just sorry I discarded the box and can't return it. This is definitely the last Netgear I will buy.
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7