× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7500 can't get IP

toptrader
Guide

EX7500 can't get IP

Hi
I'm having issues with a new nighthawk EX7500
It works great extending my network for all my devices except for my phone (Samsung android) on occasion.

I have another extender round the house and of course the base router. I think when walking round the house with my phone it will of course sometimes reconnect to the main router which I'd want to happen, the issue is then that it won't hand off and connect to the EX7500 when I'm back in closer range of that
My phone tries to connect but can't get IP
The only solution is to reboot the EX7500 which is a bit annoying as none of my other devices (albeit in static locations) have this issue
Is there a solution please??
Message 1 of 23
toptrader
Guide

PS don't think this happens every single time, it's every few days (my default IP lease time is 24hrs on the main router)

Turning wifi off and on on my phone or rebooting my phone does not solve the issue, I have to reboot the EX7500
Message 2 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model # of the main host router? 

What FW is loaded on the EX? 

Set a IP address reservation ON the main host router for the EX or you can set a static IP address ON the EX instead, i.e. 192.168.#.75 if your main host routers default IP address pool is 192.168.#.100 to.200

Message 3 of 23
toptrader
Guide

Thanks. I already have static IP set for my EX7500. The EX connection to the router is stable, the main issue is my roaming mobile device often gets denied an IP by the Extender (the fixed place devices like sonos, echo etc seem OK 99% of the time)

So there is something in the hand off and hand back when switching to different channel it doesn't like. If the router allocated my mobile device an IP via its DHCP and then it goes out of signal and connects to the EX, somehow the EX doesn't do what it should regarding this (that's about as far as my tech knowledge goes)

Router is WAVLINK firmware 1.26.3
Netgear EX7500 firmware V1.0.0.52_1.0.68

Are there any other settings I can try?
Message 4 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this the only device that has this problem? Do other devices connect thru the EX and get in IP address? 

What is the Mfr and model# of this phone? 

Message 5 of 23
toptrader
Guide

The only issues i have had on been movable devices that may roam between the router and extender, i.e. primarily my phone as of course that moves around the most (Samsung S9 running  Android now on Pie version, was the old android version before, same issue).  My laptop also did this once when I moved it equadistant from Router and Extender once when working somewhere else in the house.  The static devices (mainly alexa, TV, sonos etc) seem fine.

I think one issue may be that I did recently introduce another Extender which was wirless extending my Netgear (not great solution I know but my previous powerline solution doesn't work well in my new house as it has 3 different consumer units bridging different parts of the house hence why i have gone wireless for part of the house). Because I used the same SSID on this second extender I think that may have introduced additional issues, so I have turned it off now and will try different SSID options also and see if that helps

I still think i have had this issue before i introduced this second extender though so will see over the next 1-2 days if it happens again

Let me know if any other solutions around DHCP/IP settings or conflicts that could cause this

Model: EX3700|N600 WiFi Range Extender
Message 6 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the IP addres pool size set on the main host router? What is the static IP you have set on the EX? 

Roaming will always be somewhat problematic. It's up to the wireless devices to pick and choose what signals they connect to and when. 

Message 7 of 23
toptrader
Guide

Yeah, think IP is fine. Actually forgot to mention the router is itself connected to the main 4G router via ethernet cable which dishes out the IPs 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.249 (the main router is static 192.168.1.1, another one on a good strong powerline 300m away 192.168.1.2, other router 192.168.1.3, Extender 191.168.1.4)

I think it may be the second extender that caused the issues, it was a outer cheap WAVLINK one and I think also using the same SSID close to the Extender (even being careful on channel overlap) caused issues

As you say the devices can't choose which channel(s) to connect to, feels like that's an advance setting that all phones and devices should come with nowadays!!

Thanks

Message 8 of 23
Diabhalta
Star

I am having the exact same problem, I have a fairly large space to cover and have 2x EX8000 running as access points connected to router via ethernet. Then I have 2x EX7500 extenders.
Everything connects fine and green status across the board on all 4 devices. However roaming devices will eventually fail by not getting IP addresses while static devices are fine.

Im not sure how to troubleshoot this, is it it a problem that I gave all the same SSID? I also selected OneWifiName check box. Anything to do with smart connect?

I'm at a loss, there is no access control restrictions on my router (draytek vigor 2862), all fw up to date.
Message 9 of 23
Diabhalta
Star

In case it helps anyone I troubleshot this by giving every device it's own SSID and pinned down the issue being the ex7500 not getting an IP for my mobile device when in DHCP.

My router works perfectly with every other device in my house but for some reason (i'm blaming the ex7500 here) DHCP not working between my router (Draytek Vigor 2862), the ex7500 and the mobile device.

As soon as I setup the extender in the netgear genie to have a static IP (gave it the same IP as the router had already allocated via DHCP) then my mobile device in turn got an IP and all was good.

Anyone smarter than me know why this is the case?

Message 10 of 23
toptrader
Guide

Two things helped me
1. Different ssid, I had two range extenders (different brands also) using same ssid so I can understand why the extender then may and try to reconnect to the other extender if signal randomly became stronger so that's ok to fix
2. Smart connect or whatever Netgear call it. My tvs and other devices really hated this and kept dropping out, as soon as I turned off its fine

However I still find need to reboot my Ex7500 about every 7-10 days as some devices seem to stop working
And I still have this roaming problem a little when walking between my various different routers or extenders round the house and then coming back to the Netgear. Turning wifi off and on on phone normally fixes it so it could be my setup or Samsung phone but I don't think the Netgear is completely faultless. Happy enough with the 2 fixes for now as made a big difference
Message 11 of 23
Diabhalta
Star

I wrote a long reply but it either got eaten by internet gods or mod deleted. The TLDR was that it's mostly device fault on roaming as devices hang on to wifi connection until it goes to zero, they don't dynamically scan for better connections. You need the AP to encourage the device to handover i.e. my router forces devices to disconnect below a certain dbm. This is great for me and would be great if Netgear had this on the EX8000 and EX7500. It's more enterprise level technology but you can get this functionality at this price point.

Message 12 of 23
toptrader
Guide

Thanks that's helpful
Any idea best brand(s) of router to buy? Mine is fairly basic and an upgrade may well help me,
As I say its very manageable at present just not perfect which is a little niggle I'd rather not have. As you say, in my office our enterprise wifi seems capable of having hundreds of devices roaming around and rarely any issues
Message 13 of 23
Diabhalta
Star

I'd be hesitant to recommend anything as I'm really not an expert at all, I've just spent 3-4 hours every day the last two weeks getting my new house setup and researching online!

But, with that caveat, I have a Draytek Vigor 2862ac that I only got last week but so far I really really like it. It's expensive but so far has been brilliant.

Prior to that I had a netgear DM200 modem connected to a XR500 gaming router. Again, very expensive router but was brilliant QoS for gaming. However, I couldn't get them to play nice with my new house (sonos, heatmiser, cctv etc). It may not be the XR500's fault though, I plan on maybe giving it another try once I'm stable if I miss the gaming bells and whistles.

I think if I was starting over from scratch I would give ubiquiti a try. To be really clear here, I've never used them and don't have one but from the research I've done their AP's have enterprise level performance which would handle handovers much better for my house if they live up to their online reviews.

Message 14 of 23
toptrader
Guide

thanks!

not expert either, i find through all this playing around you have to learn stuff!

A lot of it was in configuration, once i got that right things work a lot better e.g. sonos's etc happy to talk to each other even though on different SSIDs from different routers some over powerlines and some not which Sonos used to claim you can't do

I still like/prefer powerlines but sadly i have a couple of consumer units in the house and both brands i've tried don't seem to work well across these consumer units.   It's fine for about 50% of house to use those to bridge long gaps and stick a router at the end, but the rest of the house has to depend on extenders (it's a very long house so distances are issue hence need for 2-3 extenders)

Will do some research on ubiquiti and the others you mentioned

Message 15 of 23
ehexplorer
Tutor

Hmm

I've started having the same issue with my EX7500 extending the wifi of my Draytek Vigor2926. It worked fine for months and now I need to reboot the EX7500 once a day or my devices fail to get an IP address when they connect to it. I've done some troubleshooting and when the devices stop getting IPs if I turn off the EX7500 they connect immediately to my router. If I leave the EX7500 on and set the troubled device to a static IP it connects to the EX7500 and works fine.

It seems to point to the EX7500 not passing on DHCP requests. I wonder if there's a service that's crashing or something. I'm guessing a recent update has done it since my router hasn't been updated for a while and it was working fine previously. I'll do some digging. I'll start by downgrading the firmware and see if it helps.

Will keep you posted.

Message 16 of 23
Diabhalta
Star

Did you try giving the EX7500 a static IP?
Message 17 of 23
ehexplorer
Tutor

Yes, it's static.
Message 18 of 23
ehexplorer
Tutor

Downgraded to .50 and it didn't make a difference. Think I'll join the others and ditch Netgear.
Message 19 of 23
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ehexplorer - You may want to try performing a factory reset and reconfigure the extender. Please let me know how this turns out. 

~Christian 

Message 20 of 23
ehexplorer
Tutor

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried.
Message 21 of 23
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ehexplorer - Please send me a message with your contact info and serial number. I'd like for our support team to reach out to you for further investigation. 

~Christian 

Message 22 of 23
Diabhalta
Star

I've had to do the same, I've disconnected both 7500's and they've taken up residence in a drawer. My two 8000's as access points just do a better job on their own, I might not have full coverage but at least when I do I have an IP!

Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7