× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7500 issues keeping 2.4GHz devices connected

jpd99
Guide

EX7500 issues keeping 2.4GHz devices connected

EX7500 is connected to R7800 router.  5GHz devices do not have an issue but 2.4GHz devices will connect for a day or 2 and then looses connection.  Once that happens I can not get them reconnected unless I pulll the power on the extender.  All firmware is up to date.  This has happened from the beginning.  I was originally thinking it was a problem with the 2.4 devices but now convinced it is the extender.  2.4 and 5 GHz are configured with the same name.  I don't think there is anything I missed in my configuration?  Is there another recommended extender I should use with my R7800 router?  Thanks.

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7500 issues keeping 2.4GHz devices connected

Not on the R7800. 

Just went you're going through setup of the EX7500. It asks you if you want to extender the 2.4ghz. Deselect that.

You'll still be able to use the 2.4ghz, it just doesn't use it as a failover if the 5ghz has an issue. Leave the 2.4ghz broadcasting on the R7800. 

You can try changing which channel you're broadcasting on. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

When you setup the EX7500, did you check off the box saying "extender 2.4ghz network"?
if so, factory reset the extender and during the reinstall with the extender, uncheck that box. You can still use the 2.4ghz network but it won't use it as a failover for the wireless backhaul. sometimes that helps. 

You can also try changing which channel the 2.4ghz broadcasts on. 

What firmware is on the extender? 

What firmware is on the router?

Message 2 of 11
jpd99
Guide

Firmware V1.0.2.90 on R7800

Firmware V1.0.1.76_1.0.80 on EX7500

EX7500 Configuration:

Enable One WIFI Name = Yes

Enable Smart Connect = Yes

Sync Configuration fom Netgear Router = Yes

Check marks are gray but both 2.4 and 5 are checked.

In the past I have reset to factory.  Unchecking 2.4 at the point of reconfiguring might work?

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

I usually uncheck the "extender 2.4gh" during setup. Tends to be more stable as it relies on the 5ghz and won't failover to the 2.4ghz. 

also, make sure the R78000 is using the higher 5ghz channels to broadcast on.(not dfs channels)

Message 4 of 11
jpd99
Guide

Where on the R7800 do I deselect 2.4 broadcast?  I have some 2.4GHz only devices.  Will they be able to connect at all after doing it?

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Not on the R7800. 

Just went you're going through setup of the EX7500. It asks you if you want to extender the 2.4ghz. Deselect that.

You'll still be able to use the 2.4ghz, it just doesn't use it as a failover if the 5ghz has an issue. Leave the 2.4ghz broadcasting on the R7800. 

You can try changing which channel you're broadcasting on. 

Message 6 of 11
jpd99
Guide

Communications worked for a few days and went out again.  I did notice another difference between 2.4 & 5 on the EX7500.  For 2.4GHz communication between the router <--> extender <--> devices are both on the same channel whether I set to auto or a specific number. 5GHz use 153 between router & extender and 48 between extender & devices.  Is that supposed to be that way?  Seems as though Netgear missed the mark with the configuartion application.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

the radio channel between the R7800 and EX7500 needs to be on that same channel. Thats the dedicated backhaul and if they were on different channels, they couldn't communicate. 

You can try changing the R7800's primary 5ghz channel. Maybe it has interference on it .

You can also try downgrading the EX7500's firmware. Maybe there's a bug in the verison you're on. I know one of the versions had some issues. 

Message 8 of 11
jpd99
Guide

I understand the channel between the router & extender need to be the same, and they are for 2.4 but the channel between extender & devices is the same channel as between the router & extender.  The channels between the router & extender and the extender & devices  are different on 5GHz and it works.  Also,  the router & extender are at the latest firmware.

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

Your correct. The extender uses the same channel for 5ghz as the router uses for the backhaul but a differnet one for the 2nd 5ghz that goes between devices. this is to prevent interference and speed things up. With the dedicated backhaul, the extender doesn't take the same 50% speed hit the single/dual band extenders do. 

The latest firwmare sometimes isn't the greatest. You can always try downgrading the extenders firmware a version or 2 and see if it helps with stability. it wouldn't be the first time a newer firmware caused an issue. 

Message 10 of 11
jpd99
Guide

I've had it running without any issues longer then it has been.  The change I made is the 2.4GHz channel was set to auto and was always defaulting to channel 10.  I changed it to a static channel 6 and haven't had an issue since.  Must have been interference with channel 10.  Hopefully I'm corrent in my thinking and it continues working.  Thanks for letting me bounce thing off you.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7