× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7500 night mode?

Regulus2
Tutor

EX7500 night mode?

I bought an EX7500 extender, latest firmware (connected via a TP-link archer A7 router). It is working in a rather well after a lot of fiddling.

Is there a way to control the night modus to cut down on energy cost other than the somewhat lame "access schedule" which in no way limits power consumption (monitored by a kWh meter). I live in a country where electrical energy is expensive! 

There seems to be no other possibility than to put it on an on/off timer? 

Any thoughts? TIA  

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7500 night mode?

I'd actually just use the timer. Its going to be the most cost effective. 

there isn't a way to turn the wifi down based on a time. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I'd actually just use the timer. Its going to be the most cost effective. 

there isn't a way to turn the wifi down based on a time. 

Message 2 of 6
Regulus2
Tutor

Thanks very much for your prompt answer. You are confirming what I thought! A timer it is! 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not sure if its worth the cost. 

A wifi extender doesn't use a ton of power. 

When using a kill-a-watt meter my EX8000 used on average around 20 watts. 

In my area its $0.12 per kWH of usage. Plugged in over a days cost its $0.058 cents, over a week $0.40, a month $1.75, and $21.02 a year. 

Thats running 24/7. so if you cut the time in half that it was on, it'd save you $10 a year (in my area). 

Not sure how much your electricity is. 

Message 4 of 6
Regulus2
Tutor

A wifi extender just like internet modems, TV decoders, routers, switches and WAPs, & all sorts of chargers (which are wrongly left on the mains 'cos hey they don't consume much) etc are among the "sneaky power consumer" devices which all consume little power but added up can make a serious bill on a yearly basis.
The EX7500 is consuming like a measured 0.10-0.11 kWh per 24hrs (older tech), third digit missing. This will account for about 36-40 kWh per year. At the present cost for energy here that may add up to a said negligible €20-€24 per year. But it is a false feeling. Adding to that the sneaky consumption of the devices mentioned before (internet provider, TV's, router) the summing up may cost like €125-€150 a year for "negligible devices" only, it may not look relevant but it's not peanuts. Cutting it by a nightly 30% may be worth a consideration. JMHO

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

I'm not saying it won't help. I've put several of those devices on smart switches/timers to cut usage. But none of my routers/extenders are because I do have so many smart devices that need a connection to work properly. So if shutting off the extender, cuts out something else you can't use because of coverage, then is it worth the cost? Totally up to you. 

If it works well for you and works as it should, awesome! 

I was just going over the costs for a day/month/year to help with figuring out if its worth the price of buying something else to shut if off with. 

If the timer costs, $5 its paid off in 6 months (if you cut out 50% of the time its on). If you put a $20 smart switch on it, then its going to take 2 years to recoup those costs and during that time its off, you don't have the extra coverage. You're the only one who can make the choice. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7