× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 Firmware 210

DavidRC
Apprentice

EX7700 Firmware 210

Since my extender updated its firmware to 210, I have had authentication problems on the 5GHz band with my Android phone (Nokia 8.1) and tablet (Samsung Tab S6 lite). Switching off randomised MAC on the phone and tablet helped me with the problem. I have now gone back to the 206 firmware and everything is fine.
Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
DavidRC
Apprentice

Re: EX7700 Firmware 210

Message 18 of 18

All Replies
rockching80
Aspirant

Same problem with iPhone & MacBook Pro with firmware 210. But haven't tried rolling back to 206.

Message 2 of 18
DavidRC
Apprentice

I have just (an hour ago) gone back to the .210 firmware and after installing the firmware I ran Smart Setup (from the Status page). So far everything is working fine, but it has only been an hour!

Message 3 of 18
DavidRC
Apprentice

That did not work as it would not connect to my Android mobile on 5GHz (IP configuration problem) so I am back on the .206 firmware and everything is fine.

Message 4 of 18
rockching80
Aspirant

Yes. I am now rolledback to 206. It looks good at the moment. I believe there is really something wrong with 210.

Just for a record with firmware 210, I also tried disable MIMO also didn't work.

Message 5 of 18
DavidRC
Apprentice

Hopefully, Netgear have noticed that there is a problem and are working on a new firmware.

Message 6 of 18
PunkBear
Aspirant

I too am experiencing this same problem.  Have tried multiple times to update to 210 but each time encounter the same issues, mainly with iPhone6 and iPhoneXR.  

Issues include:-

1.  iPhones won't connect to the Nighthawk app

2.  iPhones disconnect from wifi and revert to 3G/4G - when try to reconnect to wifi receive messages that password is incorrect

3.  when eventually we temporarily connect back and login to Nighthawk app, each iPhone is listed multiple times in the device list

We purchased the EX700 so that we could use our Sonos system in the garden, but when 210 is installed it's impossible to control the Sonos from inside the house or from the garden.  

The only workaround i have found is to revert back to firmware update 206, but this is a concern considering I've been emailed by Netgear reminding me to upgrade to 210 for security reasons!

I hope Netgear is working on resolving this issue becuase if not I'll be returing the EX7700 for a refund as it is not fit for purpose with the latest firmware installed.

Message 7 of 18
BV450
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem since I upgraded to .210.

Android and iOS devices are most of the time not able to connect to the extender. The error message is "invalid password"

I am sometime able to reconnect my Android device by switching from Phone MAC address to random MAC address.

My sonos device seems to be keeping the connection.

Given the other comments I will roll back to .206

It's rather disappointing from Netgear.

Message 8 of 18
Stefc13
Aspirant

I experienced exactly the same issue with the version 210. 

I did a roll back to 206... seems to be better 

Hope Netgear will fix this bug. 

Config:

Nighthawk R7000 fw up-to-date

EX 7700 fw 206

Message 9 of 18
katari
Aspirant

same issue here, no stable 5ghz connection.

rolled back to 206 and everything is working again.

really hope for a fix, because 210 seems to be a security update...

i'm really disapointed. These are my first Netgear Products (XR500 + EX7700 Extender),

i never got so many problems during updates on other manufactors before...

Message 10 of 18
brutus63
Aspirant

Rif.: EX7700 Firmware 210

Stesso problema dal momento dell'aggiornamento al firmware 210.

Dove posso reperire il firmware 206 per effettuare un downgrade nella speranza di una rapida soluzione da parte di Netgear?

Message 11 of 18
brutus63
Aspirant

Rif.: EX7700 Firmware 210

@brutus63 wrote:

Stesso problema dal momento dell'aggiornamento al firmware 210.

Dove posso reperire il firmware 206 per effettuare un downgrade nella speranza di una rapida soluzione da parte di Netgear?

Rollback alla 206 effettuato, per il momento sembra stabile.

Message 12 of 18
Zippy007
Initiate

I had same issue,latest firmware 210 causes connection issues with android and iPhone devices, keeps saying incorrect password.
Found on forum a solution as stated from many users is to roll back the firmware back to 206 firmware.
You need a laptop to do this, download 206 firmware and save to desktop, log into your Extender via ethernet cable, select firmware update, and upload 206 firmware disc file, takes a few minutes. Once done reboot Extender and problem is now fixed, all devices maintain connection and no drop outs! Remember also to uncheck auto firmware update whilst on status page when logged into Extender.
Message 13 of 18
daddywifi
Initiate

I had similar issues - had the extender ( EX7700 with latest 210 firmware update automatically added) working with my ISP router and had username/password issues or unable to obtain IP address error message on several devices, including laptop, iPhone, android phone, fire tv stick (logged in fine initially and good connection/speed, but after a short while connection would drop and any attempt to join the wifi again would come up with message saying username or password incorrect, or unable to obtain IP address).

I had tried turning off the smart connection with separate 2ghz and 5ghz bands, and noticed that the issue then only occurred to the 5ghz band login.

I then tried using the extender with a Netgear R8000 router - initially had the exact same issue when using the "smart connect", so again turned that off and separated the bands, and again noticed this only impacted the 5GHZ extended connections.  Tried several other tips/advice found on this forum (e.g. resetting both extender and router, updating firmware via main admin console rather than nighthawk app, changing bands (and also trying the two separate 5GHZ bands to extend given these are tri-band).  Still no good.  (Just adding this all here as I'm sure others will have followed this around the houses too.)

Then found this post, and rolled back to firmware 206 - went to Download area for EX7700 and found previous firmware version 206 (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX7700.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.0.206); downloaded to laptop; logged into EX7700 via the IP-address (can look IP address up on the router attached devices list - I couldn't always get the mywifiext URLs to redirect properly); turned off the "auto update" on the firmware area; uploaded the firmware 206 manually and let it update.  

Since restarting all of the username/password issues and/or unable to obtain IP address have been resolved - I've been running this now for a couple of weeks so pretty sure the 210 firmware is the issue here and as with other posts here, hope for next firmware update to address this.  I have not turned on Smart Connect again as yet, but might give that a go in the future - for now, I've got used to having the separate bands and allocating the fixed position devices (e.g. Amazon Echo Show/Dots, FireTVSticks) to 5GHZ and the mobile devices that are more likely to be in weaker signal spots like in the garden on the 2GHZ;  might also allow me to get clearer signal when all the family are doing their thing on the more default 2GHZ band with their devices.

Using: R8000 router, R7700 Extender and R7000 Extender (in outbuilding)

Message 14 of 18
RMPGlobal
Initiate

Exactly the same issue here, updated to the latest Firmware, initially via the app, and had connection issues with phones and laptops across the network. Rolled back and then updated again again, this time manually by logging in to extender - same issues.

There is a major flaw in 210... so 206 is the best option for now

Netgear - people have been reporting this for months, why is it not resolved?
Message 15 of 18
katari
Aspirant

@RMPGlobal wrote:
Netgear - people have been reporting this for months, why is it not resolved?

That's a really good question...

Message 16 of 18
ronmanu7
Aspirant

I also had the same issue when v.210 came out and rolled back to v.206 to resolve the issue.

I hope Netgear are aware and going to address this issue in the next version!!!

Message 17 of 18
DavidRC
Apprentice

The new firmware 216 seems to be working fine so far:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062873/EX7700-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-216

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies