× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 Problem on 2.4G connection

NoSmokingman
Aspirant

EX7700 Problem on 2.4G connection

Ex7700_1.jpegEX7700_2.pngA strange problem happened on my EX7700 extender.  After I've connected it as an extender, I found that EX7700 is just connecting to my 5G network.  It is ok when I tried to connect the extender 2.4G network, but ALL traffic from EX7700 ( both 2.4G and 5G ) is actually from my 5G wireless network.

P.S. My router configuration is network A to 2.4 wireless and network B to 5G wireless.  In short, all the traffic from EX7700 now is network B traffic.

May I know why this is happened?

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7700 Problem on 2.4G connection

I'm not sure what exactly you're wanting. 

The 2.4ghz still works. 

You can always disable the onessid feature and not use the actual mesh function. That seperates out the 2.4ghz from the 5ghz

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Its designed for this. The EX7700 is a triband extender. Its designed to use the 2nd 5ghz band as a dedicated backhaul between router and extender. The reason for this is the keeps the throughput from being cut in half.

In standard single/dual band extenders, throughput gets reduced 50%. It happens because the extenders have to use the same wireless chip to go router---->extender and then extender--->device and not being able to do both at once. With the EX7700's dedicated backhaul, the other 5ghz and 2.4ghz chips are dedicated to just extender---->devices. They don't take that throughput hit as well as they have better latency for it. 

so its a designed feature for faster speeds/lower latency. 

Message 2 of 6
NoSmokingman
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your answer.  Is there any option that I can " split " the dedicated backhaul even the throughput is reduced 50%?  Since the solution is fixed not using additional penny for more equipments, if I cannot " split " the backhaul, I may need to install an old router as the 2.4G extender.  Anyway, heartfelt thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I'm not sure what exactly you're wanting. 

The 2.4ghz still works. 

You can always disable the onessid feature and not use the actual mesh function. That seperates out the 2.4ghz from the 5ghz

Message 4 of 6
NoSmokingman
Aspirant

Yes you are right.  I've disabled the 2.4G ( i.e. one SSID ) so I can separate the network.  Would like to share what's my original plan.

Network A   br0   192.168.1.x   for trust devices w/original traffic from ISP ( SSID A, 2.4G )

Network B   br1   192.168.2.x   IoT ( SSID B, 2.4G )

Network C   br2   192.168.3.x   for guest with VPN traffic ( SSID C, 5G )

I bought the EX7700 because the router coverage isn't good enough for some areas.  Therefore I need a device which is able to extend both 2.4G and 5G separately.  As you can see, the traffic of my 2.4G network and 5G network is entirely different ( local ISP vs VPN ), I guess I should buy another router as a birdged AP instead of EX7700.

Anyway, thank you for your advice.  Appreciate if you still have any idea.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You're looking for more of a business grade product where you can have seperate vlans on the same network. 

My SXK30 allows 4x ssid's vlans. I've got it setup as suchs

SSID-1=192.168.1.1=primary

ssid-2=192.168.2.1=IoT devices

ssid-3=192.168.3.1=guest

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7