× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7700 connection problems

Khilkani
Guide

EX7700 connection problems

Every now and then, my EX7700 loses the connection to my R7000 router (router connection LED vanishes). This is not the main problem. The problem is, that the extender does not try to re-establish the connection again after it loses it. I have to restart the extender for it to re-establish the connection again. This is inacceptable. Please support.

EX7700 firmware: V1.0.0.188 (up to date)
R7000 firmware: V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 (up to date)

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 52
GrandOak01
Guide

Seen lots of inquiries on this very topic, yet NO solutions.  Been fighting same issue over a week now, since I bought the damn thing.  I see that R7000 recognizes the EX7700 as an "Attached Device" yet EVERY device connected to the EX7700 has NO INTERNET and cannot reach the R7000 control portal.  Hell they can't even reach the EX7700 portal and they are wire connected RIGHT TO THE DAMN THING!!!  It seems like the R7000 is rejecting ANY traffic comming from EX7700.   I havent tried AP mode on it cause I wanted AN EXTENDER.  I already had a WNR2000v3_N300 Router/AP connected if I wanted to go that route.  But was hoping to eliminate it for a single point connection with greater range.  Looks like I may have bought a bill of goods which is FAKE by purchasing the EX7700.

So frustrating and I do not consider myself a novice user having developed WiFi for medical, defense, and commercial devices for over 20 years now!!  I dropped D-Link, Linksys, ASUS because they all started dropping in interconnectivity of their products as well as the quality & service for them.  Has Netgear taken the same road?

Message 2 of 52
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Khilkani & GrandOak01, 

We currently have a trial firmware available for the EX7700 that may help resolve your issue. Please send me a message if you're interested. 

~Christian 

Message 3 of 52
Johnnyg30
Aspirant

Same problem with EX7700 dropping connection with R7000 and not reestablishing. Both firmware’s up to date. I have tried rolling back R7000 firmware to previous version but same issue. Assume if we cannot get a fix then can seek money back as only bought recently.
Message 4 of 52
Khilkani
Guide

I also returned the EX7700. This thing has to solve problems, not create problems.

Message 5 of 52
GrandOak01
Guide

Message 6 of 52
GrandOak01
Guide

Christian, what is link and will ADB connection help diagnose if any issues arise with it?

Seems issue is mainly loosing router connection and NOT quickly reestablishing it. Makes using Amazon Music or YouTube virtually impossible right now. Ready to toss in garbage since I cannot return it!!! #$@#
Message 7 of 52
GrandOak01
Guide

Offer a trial firmware and then go stealth? Even sent IM with phone contact info, which also has NOT gotten a single response. Boy has NetGear fallen in quality, ease of use, and support for its products. At least the NonOrbi ones. Is forsakening all other products NetGear's attempt to foist Orbi on everyone?

Certainly seems so since most responses these days turn focus back to Orbi rather than product with issue!!!!

Message 8 of 52
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GrandOak01 - I have sent you a message including the trial firmware. Thank you for your patience. 

~Christian 

Message 9 of 52
dduijsters
Tutor

Same here, also the R7000 itself has to be rebooted when the Ex7700 gives up, usually after 1 day. Tried positioning, updated firmware, managed channels, etc. Also when I call support I need to give the serial number by voice and that doesn't work because it doesn't recognize the letters well and I have to start over. Gave up after 35 mins. And online I get this message.

Bad product, no support.

Message 10 of 52
Jerkusbackplank
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000  V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Nighthawk X6 Tri-band WiFi Mesh Extender EX7700 V1.0.0.202

Totally agree and sympathise with all dissatisfied customer on the thread. Exactly right - this product does not solve problems it just creates new ones.

This product has caused me nothing but pain and stress since I bought it a year ago. I bought it because I need an extender. In extender mode I experience constant dropouts - the number of times I have been cut off during important customer conference calls is a source of utter embarrassment. A couple of months ago I gave up on the devil's device and switched it to AP mode which I must admit was a lot more stable but it not what I needed (I need an extender). A couple of days ago I switched it back to extender mode in the belief that the firmware would have been fixed by now and the product would be stable and functional, but no, even with the latest and greatest firmware I am now experiencing the exact same problems as before.

Message 11 of 52
EWells006
Aspirant

Was having issues connecting devices to my extender (EX7700).  Removed the smart connect and was able to connect devices and ge them working.  Then the extender quit working again.  My Amazon Echo Show has a netgear page asking for password and user ID.  I haven't added any info yet, but curious if the extender is pushing information like this out publicly.  

Also, really dissappointed with EX7700 thus far, but will contact support this evening to see if there is any updates I can get to update firmware.

Message 12 of 52
dduijsters
Tutor

Something is up with the EX7700 and the R7000 combi, and Netgear is not dealing with it. I sent back the EX7700 and then bought the Orbi's (and I have to say, they work wonderfully).

Message 13 of 52
rvillarreal410
Aspirant

I am interested in this trial firmware. I also frequently have this issue.

Message 14 of 52
takyalice
Aspirant

I have the same issue, please let me know how to resolve it.

Leung Yin

Message 15 of 52
aw20
Aspirant

I also have the same issues and wondered if anyone had succesfully resovled the problem?

I have a recently bought a EX7700 Extender to use the use the MESH technology to extender my existing Netgear Router signal to other parts of our house.

The router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P and I have had no stability problems with that router or dropped connections etc.. I just wanted to extend the signal to areas where it was a bit weak.

Since setting up the EX7700 when it is working it is working great but I quite often, at least once a day, experience on wireless devices loss of internet connection that are connected to the EX7700. The device is still connected over WIFI to the EX7700 but I just do not have internet access on the device and sometimes I loss wifi connection as well.

While these problems happen I check the status lights on the EX7700 and all the lights are solid white, so it is not indicting a problem.

Both the EX7700 and the R7000P are on the latest firmware versions and I have seen quite a few posts on the Netgear community of others having this same problem.

@Christian_R  I would be interested in trying out the firmware update you mention in a previuous post as if I can get this working that would be great.

Message 16 of 52
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rvillarreal410, takyalice, & aw20, 

Thank you for posting. We are no longer running the trial firmware provided earlier in the post due to the official release of firmware v1.0.0.206 for the EX7700 (linked below). Would you mind telling me the firmware version your EX7700 is currently on? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061387/EX7700-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-206

Thanks,
Christian 

Message 17 of 52
rvillarreal410
Aspirant

Version 1.0.0.206

It still frequently loses connection to my Nighthawk router despite having all LED lights displayed correctly like one other person commented
Message 18 of 52
aw20
Aspirant

Thanks Christian. I am running 1.0.0.206. I noticed on Amzaon a few people posted they had issues but were resolved with the latest firmware so that is the first thing I did and it even promtped me to install it when I logged into the web ui, so it is all up to date.

But I do still have internet connection problems.

Message 19 of 52
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rvillarreal410 & aw20, 

Thanks for getting back so soon. Have you both gotten a chance to perform a factory reset and going through the setup assistant again after the firmware update? We recommend that a factory reset is performed after a firmware update. 

Looking forward to hearing back!

Christian 

Message 20 of 52
takyalice
Aspirant

My firmware is 1.0.0.202 and will update to 1.0.0.206 soon.
Message 21 of 52
aw20
Aspirant

Thanks Christian, I will try that and see how it is over the coming days.

Message 22 of 52
aw20
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

Just to let you know that:

1) I reset the EX7700 to factory settigns

2) Performed a fresh Smart setup

3) All lights where solid White

4) I even had my PC plugged into the Ethernet port on the EX7700

5) It worked great for about 5 hours then I lost internet connection again on my PC that was connected to the ethernet port on the EX7700

6) At the time all the lights where solid white indicating no problems.

7) I tried logging onto the EX7700 locally vai the PC connected to the ethernet port but it just would not load the web ui of the EX7700. It was like the whole thing had just crashed.

😎 I switched the EX7700 off and as soon as my PC picked up the wifi from my R7000P router it was fine and I've had no problems since. (Apart from some areas of weak WIFI coverage which I had bought the EX77000 to fix in the first place)

😎 I've since made the decision to send it back to Amazon for a refund as it was cuasing me some many problems.

Thanks for your help anyway and I just thought I would let you know that doing a factory reset in my case didn't solve the problem and in the end I just sent sent the device back for a refund.

Message 23 of 52
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello aw20, 

I appreciate you taking the time to update the thread. Please feel free to reach out for any further assistance with your NETGEAR products. 

All the best,

Christian 

Message 24 of 52
Morrack2000
Aspirant

Any updates on this problem for the rest of us having it?  It's particularly bad for PC's that are behind the wired port.  I have to restart the extender at least daily.  In my case at least the PC's behind the extender can still communicate with the extender, but nothing beyond it (including the upstream router) without rebooting.  Running the latest firmware (.206) and have reconfigured everything after doing the firmware update.

Message 25 of 52
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7