× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 doesn't grab the signal from my laptop

Tarika
Tutor

EX7700 doesn't grab the signal from my laptop

I'm using a XR500 as a router and a EX7700 as mesh / extender.
I'm facing an issue. I work with my laptop not far from the EX7700 that is configured with the same SSID as my router. I went through the "genius" when placing the extender and did'nt encounter any weird error message. I have a solid white led meaning that the signal reveived from the XR500 is fine.
I work in the same room as my EX7700. The signal is strong but my laptop is still receiving the wifi signal from my XR500. This signal is weak and my laptop doesn't switch to the stronger EX7700 signal.
I know the the EX7700 works fine because my phone is able to switch from the XR500 to the EX7700.
What can I do in order to deal with that issue? Do you think the the XR500 signal is too strong, preventing my laptop from switching to EX7700?

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7700 doesn't grab the signal from my laptop

If you're using the "onewifi" features (same ssid), then its on the devices own roaming protocols to roam between router---extender. Its not the router or extender that does the roaming. 

Potentially your laptop might not have roaming protocols, might have an outdated driver, or even have its roaming set down. 

In my computers (windows 10), I can check in the device manager what my roaming aggressiveness is. But yours might be different based on what wifi chipset is in your laptop. 

I'd check what wifi chipset is in your laptop, check with the specific device maker (if its an intel chipset, get the driver from intel, not dell/windows) for updated drivers, and then check in the device manager for how its roaming is setup. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you're using the "onewifi" features (same ssid), then its on the devices own roaming protocols to roam between router---extender. Its not the router or extender that does the roaming. 

Potentially your laptop might not have roaming protocols, might have an outdated driver, or even have its roaming set down. 

In my computers (windows 10), I can check in the device manager what my roaming aggressiveness is. But yours might be different based on what wifi chipset is in your laptop. 

I'd check what wifi chipset is in your laptop, check with the specific device maker (if its an intel chipset, get the driver from intel, not dell/windows) for updated drivers, and then check in the device manager for how its roaming is setup. 

Message 2 of 7
Tarika
Tutor

Thank you for your answer. Yes, good idea, I'll check that and let you all know. At least I know that my issue isn't linked to my router / extender.

Message 3 of 7
Tarika
Tutor

I upgraded my wireless driver with the one from the wireless card's manufacturer. I went on the advanced options / Roaming aggressiveness. New Value: 5. Highest.

I'll keep that option a few days and see if it's better.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Hows it working?

Message 5 of 7
Tarika
Tutor

Yes, time to give you a new feedback.

Switch from router to extender goes quicker now. Not as quick as my mobile phone but quicker than before. In conclusion, the modification to increase roaming agrressiveness has a good effect as well as as the upgrade of my driver I guess.

Next step: I'll move my router a little bit in order to decrease the signal in the room where I work with my laptop. This should help my latop to switch to the extender.

Thank you for your help.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

glad its working a bit better!

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements