× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 has stopped connecting to 5GHZ network

JoeFI
Apprentice

EX7700 has stopped connecting to 5GHZ network

Hi, I've had an XR500 router and ex7700 extender for about a year now. And for the last month the extender won't connect to the 5ghz network. I've tried switching channels and at it connected but after a day or so switches back to 2.4 network. I'm in the UK and my wifi is full fibre 200mbps which regularly tests at 218 through my router. The extender hasn't been moved. Has anyone any ideas why this has just stopped working?  

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7700 has stopped connecting to 5GHZ network

1. what firmware is on the xr500?

2. what firmware is on the EX7700?

3. what channel are you using for the backhaul for the EX7700?

4. Have you tried changing the backhaul channel (you'd have to change it on the router)

Message 2 of 8
JoeFI
Apprentice

The xr500 is on the version ending 114. I'm signed in to the Extender and I can't see the version but when I searched for update it said the latest was installed. I don't what a backhaul channel is.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

There's a .120 firmware for the xr500 you could try. 

New Firmware v2.3.2.120 (XR500) - NETGEAR Communities

The backhaul is the connection between the XR500 and the EX7700. 

the EX7700 uses a dedicated backhaul. So if somethings interfering with the XR500's 5ghz, it'll affect the EX7700's. 

thats why I'd try changing the backhaul channel

Message 4 of 8
JoeFI
Apprentice

I've updated to the 120 version for the router. The Extender is version 216. I've done two master resets on the Extender. When I sign back into the router it says the Extender is on the 5g network then when I turned my Playstation on it flipped over to the 2g one.
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

You're using the "onessid" or mesh function? 

If so, that allows devices to move between 2.4ghz and 5ghz. 

You can disable it and then choose which band you want it on. 

also, the EX7700 is triband. It has 2x 5ghz bands. a high band and a low band. If the one the router is using has interference, sometimes switching which band the router is using from low to  high and vice/versa can help

Message 6 of 8
JoeFI
Apprentice

This is what's confusing me, different id's and password for 2 and 5. And smart connect is disabled. Also when I reset the Extender I said I only want 5g network extending but on both resets it ignored my choice and extended the 2 anyway.
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

When you uncheck the "extend 2.4gh" it should just set it so the 2.4ghz doesn't default to backhaul if the 5ghz drops. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7