× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7700 keeps factory resetting every few weeks. Loses all settings.

brettdorron
Tutor

EX7700 keeps factory resetting every few weeks. Loses all settings.

I have an EX7700 that keeps factory resetting every few weeks. It serves as both wifi extender and connects my wireless and wired ethernet LANs, including my NASs, in my home office.  It is 12 months old later this month and in the past few months it has started periodically forgetting all settings and returning to factory reset state every few weeks. 

I have reset it myself and updated firmware etc. I'm not sure what else I can try. Any advice? Has anyone else had or heard of this happening?

Thanks

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

something to try is to reinstall the firmware to it and then do a factory reset yourself. 

Reason why is if something is corrupt in firmware, the reinstall over-writes the firmware. If something is corrupt in the settings, the factory reset clears that. Maybe its "resetting" isn't clearing everything out. 

Message 2 of 7
brettdorron
Tutor

Cool. Thanks plemans,

I've factory reset a couple more times and I "did" encounter problems trying to reinstall firmware. Maybe there was a problem with the previous firmware update. Time will tell. I was able to force a firmware reinstall, eventually. For now, it is working again. I'll come back if it fails again. 

Thank you. 

Message 3 of 7
brettdorron
Tutor

Ok, it reset again overnight. I suspect it needs replacing. 

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

2 more things to try. 

1. downgrade the firmware a version. It could always be a bug with the firmware. 

2. check the power supply (i wouldn't buy one). its a fairly standard power supply. As long as it has the exact same voltage and polarity and at least as much amp (it can have more amps), then you can use. I've seen sketchy power supplies cause issues before. 

If you think its bad and you're still in warranty, you can always ask for an RMA.

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 5 of 7
pikavaai
Aspirant

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue.

Now, Im thinking it's loadshedding ?. Do you have loadshedding in your area ?

I almost always switch the device on manually, but it goes off mostly when the power cuts.

very annoying indeed, would be nice to know if the firmware could be updated to cope with power issues. I mean the device was not $1,99.

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

@pikavaai we encourage users to start threir own thread instead of jumping on others. 

I'd recommend that and including full details of your setup, what firmwares on devices, and a full description of your problem

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7