× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 password drops intermittently

mjones3141
Aspirant

EX7700 password drops intermittently

Hi all, I recently connected my extender to my router using the setup wizard. The extender maintains connnection to devices that don't move (the TV) but shows a password error for devices that roam (ipad, phones, laptop)

My process was: 

1) setup ex7700 extendter with account and wifi password the same as router wifi password

2) device (ipad) internet connection works next to extender using wifi password

3) walk to office next to router, connection works

4) return to room with extender later in the day, connection does not work and I receive device notification saying wifi password is incorrect

5) power cycle extender

6) wifi password is accepted

What can I do? I see other solutions that include manually downgrading firmware. If that is the solution, I'll return this device as defective and request a refund. 

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7700 password drops intermittently

Which version of the firmware are you on? 

Some had issues with the .210 and needed to be dropped back to the .206

If you return every device that has firmware issues,  you won't have a router/extender. every device manufacturer ends up with some bugs in the code as devices get more complex or as security vulnerabilities are discovered. Its why they get firmware updates, to fix those. But sometimes the fixes introduce their own bugs which need to be fixed. 

Again, if that causes you to return it, then I wish you the best. 

Message 2 of 4
mjones3141
Aspirant

Is there a firmware update scheduled to fix this bug? 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You're on the public support forum where members of the public try to help out. 

we're not netgear and we don't have any knowledge of upcoming firmware changes. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7