× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7700 setup lost after powering down the system

Moshik
Tutor

EX7700 setup lost after powering down the system

Hi,
Recently, with no fw update of any electricity unusual event, my EX7700 that I use as extender, loos its configuration and needs a wired laptop connectivity in order to setup again.
All front LEDs are off, when I connect the laptop ethernet cable, the Network LED light ON.
Is there a backup battery inside that needs replacement?
(I have the unit ~14 months)
Thanks
Moshik
Message 1 of 11
nielsvds
Luminary

There isn't a battery inside when you saved the configuration it is stored in the flash memory of your router so after powering down everything should be saved. Also to reset normally you should enter a sharp object in the reset punction hole. Even in the app you should need to click on reset. I would recommend to make a backup of your configuration and save it to your computer so you can restore it later on.

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

What firmware version are you on? 

Message 3 of 11
Moshik
Tutor

I placed the recent one, and still have the “lost setup” issue
Message 4 of 11
Moshik
Tutor

Thanks,
But still cannot understand how resetting the unit can solve my issue?
And how saving the configuration on my laptop can cause the unit to boot with my configuration?
If the unit has a flash issue after one year, Netgear should do a recall for the problematic units.
As an HW engineer, it seems that there is a faulty design/component.
Message 5 of 11
nielsvds
Luminary

What I wanted to say is make a backup of your current configuration so you can easily restore from when it happens again. So you don't have to configure it again.

Did you already tried another outlet? Other reasons faulty power adaptor, overheating, hardware failure. 

Where you applying a configuration change?

Message 6 of 11
Moshik
Tutor

Appreciate your help,

I didnt try another power supply, it seems that the unit is working just fine for the couple of days (I didn't power it off...).

So the Power supply seems to function OK (unless at boot there is a current peak.. that the power supply cannot deliver)

No overheating I can see (from the outside).

I really consider buying a UPS just for the unit....

I saw elswere at the forum that Netgear had an issue with their flashes...

Moshik

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

I've seen specific firmwares on some devices that had issues with loosing configuration after a reboot or a certain amount of time. Its why I asked which version you were on. 

Have you tried downgrading a version or 2 to see if it was something introduced with the newer firmwares?

Message 8 of 11
Moshik
Tutor

As soon as I noticed this issue, I connected the EX7700 to my laptop and checked for FW update.

and I made an update to the latest one 1.0.0.222.

I am not sure what was the previous version but it wasn't a big change (maybe 1.0.0.220).

And even with the newest FW, the configuration lost.

Where can I find the old FW?

Moshik 

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

You can get it from the support site. Click on "downloads", then "+view previous versions"

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX7700.aspx

Message 10 of 11
Cudman
Tutor

Known issue apparently, ignored by Netgear. Bad flash ram. See this post https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7700-Loss-of-configuration-on-rebo... for more descriptions of same problem. Recommend replacing the device to solve problem.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7