× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7700 won't recognize router network password

dziegele
Tutor

EX7700 won't recognize router network password

I recently bought and set up a new EX7700 WiFi extender. I used the Netgear Nighthawk app to set it up. I set it up to have the same network name and password as my router's.

However, when I'm within range of the EX7700, my iPhone drops out of the network and goes to cell service. When I try to connect to the EX7700 via the network name, it asks for the network's password but then says it's the wrong password. As soon as I get closer to my router than to the EX7700, all is fine. 

Any suggestions? One thought is to reset it to factory settings and connect it to my wifi network via WPS directly to the router.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. By the way, I tried Netgear support and after I entered my unit's serial number, it wouldn't let me go to the next page...

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

What router do you have it connected to? 

What firmware is on the extender? 

What method of install did you use? Wps or the installation assistant? 

Is it only the iphone with issues?

Message 2 of 11
dziegele
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply.

The router is a Verizon Model G3100 (new in late December).

Netgear verified yesterday that EX7700 firmware is the latest, which I believe is 1.0.0.210.

I used the installation assistant to install. I had the same problem after the initial installation, so I reset the extender and re-installed. Problem persists.

Having the issue with iPhone, iPad, and Windows laptop.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

the latest isn't always the greats on the EX7700. 

the .210 version has had a few issues. Some have much better luck on the .206 firmware. 
I'd try installing that and doing a clean install. (not from backup) and disable auto-updates.  

If it doesn't work, try logging into the router at myfiosgateway.com and go to wireless settings---->advaced security settings--->other advanced wireless options---->self-organizing network and disable self organizing network. 

Message 4 of 11
dziegele
Tutor

Thanks! I’ll give it a try ASAP.
Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Let me know how it goes!

Many have struggled with the G3100 because its verizon's mesh network solution. 

Message 6 of 11
dziegele
Tutor

plemans,

Thanks again for your rapid advice. I changed the firmware to .206 and it actually made the problem worse. I couldn't access the network (status quo), but the ethernet connection to my media player, which had been working before, also stopped working. It somehow also seemed to have temporarily jammed up my router, which triggered um, feedback from my spouse, who was trying to work.

I hesitate to try your second suggestion out of fear of cutting off the wifi again, even temporarily.

At this point, my intention is to return the unit to Netgear. It shouldn't have to be this hard to set up an extender! Thanks again for your kindness and expertise.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

Its becaues the G3100 is a mesh unit from Verizon. Its like trying to add extenders to orbi, it doesn't intgrate the same. 
If you search online for "add extender g3100" you'll see lots of issues with 3rd party devices. 

Message 8 of 11
Jimmyjive
Aspirant

Hi, could you please let me know if you resolve this issue as it sounds like I’m having exactly the same problem.
Cheers.
Message 9 of 11
dziegele
Tutor

Jimmy, despite valient efforts by plemans to assist me, I never got the EX7700 to work with my Verizon router and I returned it to Amazon. It appears that the only surefire way to add an extender to the Verizon G3100 router is to get the extender made specifically for that purpose, which is the E3200. In the meantime, I'm doing without. 

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

I don't have a fios gateway but some have a self orgiaizing network option. 

go to: Wireless settings--->advanced security settings-->other advanced wireless options--->self organizing network   and disable it. 

See if that helps. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7