× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 Bricked -- Flashing white lights, flashing red power

GeneDoc
Aspirant

EX8000 Bricked -- Flashing white lights, flashing red power

My 4-month-old, $180 EX8000 extender died today.  It has been working very well for the past four months.  I got home from work tonight and all white buttons on the front were flashing and the red button on the back was flashing red.  I tried pressing the reset button on the back for 60+ seconds and the red power LED continued to flash, never going solid or changing to amber.  A red power LED is not described.  I found a few references here to EX8000's with a red power light, with one thread saying the units need to be sent back, while another said the unit could be reset to a solid red light, which mine never achieves.

Unfortunately, NETGEAR the support page is incredibly challenging to navigate.  I keep trying to registery my router, but the web site continually tells me "ERROR:  Something went wrong!  Please try again".  So, I cannot register this darn thing.  How am I to get support if I cannot register it.  Guess I'll need to get on the phone and hope someone answers, even though I'm out of the 90-day window.  This couldn't possibly be a coincidence, could it?!  Perhaps I should pay extra for their "special" support.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8
Scottleck
Tutor

Re: EX8000 Bricked -- Flashing white lights, flashing red power

Haven't had mine for more than 3 weeks and same issue with all flashing lights. Had major issues connecting to it first of all. All my devices would say fail to obtain IP address at least every other day. Woke up this morning all the lights are flashing white. Did a hard reset and nothing, still flashing. Weird thing is the power light in the back is indicating nothing is wrong. Tried everything. I can't even log into it on my computer. But it shows up as excellent signal strength on all my mobil devices but no ip address. I could call customer service but ya know what, for 180 dollars and less than a month old, I'm getting my money back and moving on.
Message 2 of 8
EPiromsuk
Aspirant

This system worked great while it worked. However, now I am getting flashing white lights and these is no way to reset the unit. There is nothing on Netgear's site to help this this.

Message 3 of 8
Scottleck
Tutor

It sounds like a software issue. I had the same issue after 3 weeks. Hard reset, on off multi times. Nothing I could do to fix it. Like I said in the forums, 180 bucks, down after 3weeks, I'm moving on. Already got my money back
Message 4 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello GeneDoc, Scottleck, and EPiromsuk, 

I recommend contacting Support as this maybe due to an hardware issue. Furthermore, the factory reset button is located behind the extender and should be pressed down with a pin/needle for 15+ seconds. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 5 of 8
wmevius
Aspirant

Same here - I just set it up using WPS - and it all worked fine.

Then moved it to another location in the house, and now all lights keep flashing. Power light is green.

Reset button doesn't change anything.

It clearly thinks it is a very expensive christmas decoration, and not a router.

<UPDATE> Actually after leaving it for 15 minutes it has stopped doing the christmas lights thing, and it has started to behave itself. We'll see how long it lasts...

Message 6 of 8
Scottleck
Tutor

So I have uverse. Running 350 up and down. I got my money back for the nighthawk and bought the att/uverse repeater and it has not missed a lick I swear to God. Now it does not have the range of the nighthawk but it covers my whole house. 50 dollars and it was a plug and play that simple. I have had a nighthawk dor the better part of almost 8 yrs. Always had issues with resets and disconnects but the distance was amazing. That's why I upgraded and mine went out in less than 2 weeks. I will never spend that much money again when I can just drop 50 on the att repeater. And this may sound crazy but it is faster than the nighthawk.
Message 7 of 8
Tofu101
Star

I have the same issue... and no help from support at all.  Mine is too late to return.  I'm done with Netgear,.,. buyers beware... they don't support their products with known issues.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7