× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000 Extender/Mesh/AP Cripplingly Slow

Tweezak
Initiate

EX8000 Extender/Mesh/AP Cripplingly Slow

I'm working on setting up a extender and guest network for my church. This device seems perfect and perhaps too good to be true.

I'm testing it here at home and I am getting shockingly slow speeds. For example...running wifi directly from the Comcast cable modem/router in the other room with mediocre signal to my laptop I'm getting about 168Mbs down. If I plug in the EX8000 and run it in access point mode I'm down to about 60Mbs even though signal is very strong. Finally, if I run in extender mode, no matter where I set the EX8000, the signal is strong but the speeds are in the 5-10Mbs range! Totally unusable.

I am seeing the graph from Wifi analyzer and it's showing that my computer has latched onto the extender/AP signal which is running at about -60dbm which is stronger than the router signal by far. So, I'm assuming the connection to my computer is solid. I'm suspicious there's some kind of conflict between the Comcast router (brand new "upgraded" model) and the extender. However, if that's the case then running as I am now in access point mode with the extender hard-wired to the router/modem should not show speed issues related to wifi conflicts between those two devices. I just ran it again and Speedtest gives me 31.41Mb/s.

I've tried all the suggestions I can find like changing the channel of the router. Nothing seems to make a difference.

It feels like I'm doing something wrong. I'm not a networking expert so it wouldn't surprise me. While I wait for feedback I'll work on tweaking the Comcast router as much as I'm able.

Thanks in advance.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Tweezak
Initiate

You rock!

One of the first things I did when I got connected was update the firmware. But, I figured after the extender restarted itself it was good to go.

After seeing your message (thank you for the prompt reply) I did the factory reset with a paper clip and set up the network again. BAM!! Speeds are now around 256Mbs! That's faster than my router alone!

Again, thanks for answering swiftly. We needed this at our church for a bazaar that's happening on 11/23. I set the unit up and get great connection throughout the basement.

Now, I need to go buy one for myself. This thing screams!

Thanks again for your help.

Oh...one other thing I want to throw in here just for the search bots to find...this unit does create guest or visitor networks on 2.4 and 5G that can be open or secured and can have independent or the same name/password. This was huge for me since I don't want to give out the password for our main network.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on?

When you got the extender and (hopefully) updated it, did you do a reset afterwards? Occassionally a firmware update causes issues and resetting it can help. 

The charter modem you're using, does it have any load balancing/qos/traffic monitoring?

What router is it specifically?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX8000.aspx

I have the same EX8000 running on my network and don't have a single speed issue. I've ran it in AP and extender mode. 

Message 2 of 4
Tweezak
Initiate

You rock!

One of the first things I did when I got connected was update the firmware. But, I figured after the extender restarted itself it was good to go.

After seeing your message (thank you for the prompt reply) I did the factory reset with a paper clip and set up the network again. BAM!! Speeds are now around 256Mbs! That's faster than my router alone!

Again, thanks for answering swiftly. We needed this at our church for a bazaar that's happening on 11/23. I set the unit up and get great connection throughout the basement.

Now, I need to go buy one for myself. This thing screams!

Thanks again for your help.

Oh...one other thing I want to throw in here just for the search bots to find...this unit does create guest or visitor networks on 2.4 and 5G that can be open or secured and can have independent or the same name/password. This was huge for me since I don't want to give out the password for our main network.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working so quickly! 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7