× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 Extender Slow

thorp13
Tutor

EX8000 Extender Slow

I just set up this extender. Althought he signal strength has improved the download speed is terrible. Its over 300mbps without extender and approx 10mbps with it. Any advice? Thanks

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: EX8000 Extender Slow

What router do you have it connected to? 

What firmware is on the extender? 

How big is the home? 

What is the interior of the home made up of? 

How far from the router is the extender?

If you log into the extenders setting pages (through the browser) take a screen snip of the status page. it lets us check the backhaul.

I'd also advise hardwiring into the extender to  check speeds. 

Another thought is 2.4ghz is slow. And the ex8000 does bandsteering. Make sure the device you're testing on isn't on 2.4ghz. 

Message 2 of 6
thorp13
Tutor

What router do you have it connected to? Fios router G3100 What firmware is on the extender? V1.0.1.224 How big is the home? 2500 SF What is the interior of the home made up of? wood frame, plaster walls How far from the router is the extender? 1 floor, approx 10-20 feet I noticed by disabling the 5Ghz it seems to have better average speed throughout the house. 40-55 mbs near router similar speed near extender and slightly slower (30-40mbs) 1 floor up from extender Id like to make use of the 5G as i get speeds over 300mbs without the extender. Any suggestions? Thanks
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

10-20 feet is actually a little close. 

1 other thing i'd try is factory reset the ex8000. Then install it using the assistant. While installing, uncheck the "extender 2.4gh" selection. It'll still use 2.4ghz but will for the extender to use the 5ghz backhaul. And this ensures its not falling back on the 2.4ghz if there's issues with the 5ghz. 

Message 4 of 6
thorp13
Tutor

For the moment that seemed to resolve issue. Thanks a lot!

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad it helped! 

Hope it stays that way

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements