× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 Firmware Update Failed. Status Lights Flash Repeatedly and Resetting doesn't work.

Kraken01
Tutor

EX8000 Firmware Update Failed. Status Lights Flash Repeatedly and Resetting doesn't work.

Hello,

I used the web interface to flash the firmware.  The firmware downloaded the update appeared to have completed succesfully; however, upon completion, all of the status lights on the device flash repeatedly.  I've tried resetting the extender by holding the reset button down for 7 seconds, but after I let go, none of the status lights are lit.  Once I encountered that scenario, I power cycled the device and am back at seeing the status lights flash repeatedly.  

I'm not able to connect to the device via it's internal WiFi because neither my phone or laptop detect it.  How do I go about getting the extender back to a functional state?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: EX8000 Firmware Update Failed. Status Lights Flash Repeatedly and Resetting doesn't work.

Resetting can take up to 30 seconds of holding the button down while the device is powered on. Try that first.

If that doesn't work, then try recoving it with a tftp procedure. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure to enable it within windows (if you're on windows). 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

I always recommend updating firmware over a hardwired connection for the best results. 

Message 2 of 8
Kraken01
Tutor

Re: EX8000 Firmware Update Failed. Status Lights Flash Repeatedly and Resetting doesn't work.

I've tried resetting by holding down the button for 30 seconds, while the device is powered on, like you suggested.  Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work.  When I do that, I see the green LED on the back of the device turn to orange and then subsequently blink, but once I let go, the status LEDs on the front of the device remain off (even after letting it sit for 5+ minutes).

I also tried flashing the firmware using TFTP as described in the link provided, but that did not work either.  After issuing the command, the result was:

• Timeout occurred
  • Connect Request failed

The IP addresses I tried are:

And I tried while connected to different ports on the back of the device.  This kind of makes sense as EX8000 model doesn't have a WAN port.  The only ports available are LAN ports.  Perphaps I'm mistaken and I'm either using the wrong LAN port and/or I'm doing something wrong.  

Please let me know if anything stands out to you and if there's anything else I could try.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

here's a video that walks you through tftp. make sure to follow it exactly. As well as make sure its enabled from within windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

might have to try a couple times

Message 4 of 8
Kraken01
Tutor

Finally got it by flashing to 1.0.1.192.  Flashing to the latest version, 1.0.1.202, wouldn't work.  Thanks again for the help.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working!
Message 6 of 8
Addykapur
Aspirant

I was able to fix my router based on this article and some trial and error. I used a Mac.

here are the steps I used:

1. Using WiFi download the firmware from NetGear site.

2. Disconnect WiFi.

3. Connect to the router using Ethernet cable.

4. Setup static IP address for that Ethernet connection

5. Tftp commands on Mac are different than windows so run

$tftp 

tftp> Connect 192.168.1.1

tftp>bin

tftp> put filename.img

(long pause)

uploaded

tftp>

if you get a timeout message then the IP address was wrong and you have to try using a different address.

the blinking light goes dark and after a while becomes green. 
6. Then I saw NETGEAR_EXT show up as a WiFi connection and was able to follow new router/extender setup.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 7 of 8
Addykapur
Aspirant

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7