× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000 Mesh extender - shows nothing connected to wifi or lan!?

rojoyinc
Aspirant

EX8000 Mesh extender - shows nothing connected to wifi or lan!?

I have a nighthawk mesh extender in my observatory about 300 ft from my home with netgear router. It's been fine for nearly a year and lately has been dropping connections. 
Looking at the info pages it shows nothing connected to wifi or land. (when there are or should be).
is it defective? 

netgear.JPGnextgear2.JPG

Message 1 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello royjoyinc - Please try another browser and device to see if the issue persists. 

~Christian

Message 2 of 8
rojoyinc
Aspirant

I have tried IE,  Firefox,  and chrome.    SAME (nothing listed) in all.

I see the EX8000 attached to my primary netgear router.

I don't see ANYTHING connected to the extender EX8000  (nothing listed).

I have a IP camera out near the EX8000 (it's no listed) but it is listed on my primary routers list  (300 ft away).
If it's attached to the mesh EX8000 -   Will it's IP  still list on the  R6300Vs router?   Or does being listed only
on the primary attached devices list means it's signal is being connected through the primary only?

I have another device (hardwired, lan) to the EX8000 mesh unit and today it's not accessable at its normal IP address?

Message 3 of 8
rojoyinc
Aspirant

PS - I have updated the firmware months ago (I believe it is still latest). and I have powered down and rebooted - with no change in connected devices listing?

Message 4 of 8
rojoyinc
Aspirant

I checked (firmware IS up to date).  I told it to reboot again - 2 minutes...  upon rebooting the missing device is now working, but it's not listed.
I can not access it's IP as I usually can.

the mesh X6S is now showing  ONE DEVICE on wifi.  (there are more and a hardwired device not listed.  The one device listed is on the MESH EXTENDER list  AND on the primary router list. (I suspect that's is correct).?   

The IP camera which is 5ft from the mesh unit - yet 300 ft from the primary router.  But is going black every so often I think it's connected to the 300 ft away primary router?  Is there a way I can force it to connect to the MESH router right next to it?

Message 5 of 8
rojoyinc
Aspirant

Same persists. I now have 4 or 5 devices connected to the LAN.  It showed none. I checked all 3 browsers (same).  I refreshed and it showed the router itself connected to wifi?  
I clicked  "enable access control for extender" (sometimes doing that and saving work).

nothing.  So I rebooted (restarted) the mesh router from in the house. 2-3 minutes later after a reset. It lists ONE LAN connection of the 4-5 out there.  ???   One device connected to lan isn't appearing or working. It sometimes works 24 hours later.    I  attached the screen capture AFTER the restart of the router.  It shows ONE LAN connection out of the 4-5 that are connected and on.  
It's really been doing this since I first started using it.  But now I can't reach one of the devices.  And rightly so - I can't find them on any lists and no IP. 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 6 of 8
nhinkle
Apprentice

I have the EX8000 on the current firmware as well and the "Connected Devices" screen output is not the best.  First, when I first go in the screen, it shows nothing connected.  This is true 100 percent of the time.  The only way I get it to output anything is to hit the refresh button that is on the right hand side of the "Connected Devices" over the extender network.  It behaves just like when you open the page with the circling please wait dialog and then it comes up with the connected devices (though not always correctly and sometimes with a device on the wired lan and the wifi which shouldn't happen - I am running in access point mode with a wired backhaul).

There was a period when I was getting no devices showing, and that was when I had two devices with a DNS name collision - nothing with an IP address above the higher IP address of the colliding names would show in device listings on any of my netgear devices and all my EX8000 devices were getting higher IPs.  Have you added anything to your network lately, as in within close temporal proximity of when the EX8000 started acting up?  

Doubt this helps, but I thought it worth a shot.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 7 of 8
rojoyinc
Aspirant

sometimes that works - RARELY like the msg said.   Is this a  warranty thing?  If this is not normal...  can I swap out the device?  Who to contact about that? 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7