× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000 Mesh not really working

kwslhs
Aspirant

EX8000 Mesh not really working

Hey all - just bought and installed a EX8000 Mesh router and what I find is that when devices connect to the extender (as evident on the LED front panel and yes I'm the only user so if the light is on, it's me) on the Meshed Network (same SSID as host router) that internet connectivity disappears. I'm connected via radio - but no internet access at all. Sometimes (but not always) I can get limited internet connectivity if simply wait (around 15 minutes). The limit appears that a) Facebook app will work fine but b) speedtest.net will not work as it cannot find any servers to connect to for the test. This speedtest failure is using Chrome or the native app in Android or Windows 10/64. When I stop trying to Mesh and make the 2G and 5G networks appear with the EXT suffix then internet works fine, but the speedtest still fails to communicate with it's servers no matter which configuration I'm in. One ROKU device switched over to the extender and stopped functioning immediately rather than a smooth hand off on Mesh. Firmware indicates it is the latest available when I log into the box and check. That's it. What am I missing here? Devices are iPhone, android, Android tablet, ROKU and various Windows computers. 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 18
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kwslhs - If you recently purchased the device, we recommend contacting support for assistance.

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 2 of 18
kwslhs
Aspirant

I did. They were useless. Still haven't gotten back to me after one useless and incorrect suggestion. 

Message 3 of 18
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kwslhs, 

Thanks for the update. Please send me a message with your case number and I can assist with support getting in contact with you. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 18
kwslhs
Aspirant

The case number was 41025917. 

Message 5 of 18
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kwslhs - Thank you for the information. We have notified support and they should be contacting you as soon as possible. 

~Christian 

Message 6 of 18
kwslhs
Aspirant

Clearly "as soon as possible" will exceed 24 hours. Who works this way? If your internet was down would you be happy? 

@Christian_R wrote:

Hi kwslhs - Thank you for the information. We have notified support and they should be contacting you as soon as possible. 

~Christian 

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI, the EX8000 is not a router nor a MESH router. It's a extender or wired AP only. Works to help extend wifi from a main host routes wifi to remote areas in the home. 

Message 8 of 18
kwslhs
Aspirant

Day I've-stopped-counting-now of no follow up from tech support. 

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is loaded on the EX?
What is the Mfr and model# of the main host router the NG extender is connected too?

What is the distance between the main host router and the EX unit? 

What channels are you using on the main host router? 

@kwslhs wrote:

Hey all - just bought and installed a EX8000 Mesh router and what I find is that when devices connect to the extender (as evident on the LED front panel and yes I'm the only user so if the light is on, it's me) on the Meshed Network (same SSID as host router) that internet connectivity disappears. I'm connected via radio - but no internet access at all. Sometimes (but not always) I can get limited internet connectivity if simply wait (around 15 minutes). The limit appears that a) Facebook app will work fine but b) speedtest.net will not work as it cannot find any servers to connect to for the test. This speedtest failure is using Chrome or the native app in Android or Windows 10/64. When I stop trying to Mesh and make the 2G and 5G networks appear with the EXT suffix then internet works fine, but the speedtest still fails to communicate with it's servers no matter which configuration I'm in. One ROKU device switched over to the extender and stopped functioning immediately rather than a smooth hand off on Mesh. Firmware indicates it is the latest available when I log into the box and check. That's it. What am I missing here? Devices are iPhone, android, Android tablet, ROKU and various Windows computers. 

Message 10 of 18
kwslhs
Aspirant

Thank you for your interest. I have an open case with Netgear support. My comments here at this point are simply to point out that Netgear support replied once and went dark. Someone from Netgear here on the board indicated they would have Support contact me - which still hasn't happened after days.

Netgear "support" is non-existent. 

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, make you can give some detail if you need some help from the forums. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 18
mpnret
Tutor

After a couple weeks of testing I found what many others have also found. The EX8000 is not a mesh system. I suspect that if you select the "One WiFi Name" option all it really does is copy the SSID from the router to the extender. In fact if you try to set the EX up as an access point it doesn't even have a "One WiFI Name" option. Tech support just tells you to manually enter the same name as the router. Anyway I have found that once a device is connected to the EX the device will never connect to a closer more powerful connection as a mesh system works. I know Netgear likes to blame this on the device but so far I have tested iphone6, iphoneX, iPad, Toshiba laptop and sony desktop and they all have the same issue with the EX. On the other hand the EX is a good Extender as long as you are satisfied with manually selecting the most powerful WiFi but don't expect the EX to hand the connection off automatically and work like a mesh system.

Message 13 of 18
TheHeckler
Aspirant

I have 2 EX8000 both have been updated with the
V1.0.1.206 Firmware
1 is set up as access point, the pother as extender .
Both seem have both 2ghz and 5ghz radios working but actual use is slow . Neither show the updated device name- only as EX8000, even though the correct name appears in setup

What am I doing wrong?
Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter, EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 14 of 18
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

TheHeckler, 

Thanks for taking the time to post. Would you mind letting us know your network topology whether you have the extenders connected to each other or each extender to the router? I also noticed a previous post of yours regarding the Nighthawk app. The Nighthawk app does support the EX8000. Please see a full list of supported devices below:

https://kb.netgear.com/000055505/Which-products-support-the-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-app

Christian 

Message 15 of 18
TheHeckler
Aspirant

I have one ex8000 set up as access point. It’s directly tethered to the router via patch cable. (The router ‘s WiFi is a single 2Ghz band and it’s turned off) The EX8000 is being used to give dualband ability.

The second EX8000 is set as extender and working with the AP vía Wifi.

Since my last post, I realized that my ISP was not providing the bandwidth I require. So I’m moving to a new ISP (cable modem) next week.

Hopefully, till will resolve the issue.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 16 of 18
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi TheHeckler, 

Thanks for getting back. Curious to know how getting a new cable modem turns out for you. Please update the thread when you're able to!

Happy Monday,

Christian 

Message 17 of 18
TheHeckler
Aspirant

Ok to recap: I used to have UVerse (AT&T) for my broadband - but it was only providing Wi-Fi 2Ghz at 18 - 22Mbps! My sister started a home office at the other side of the house (away from the router) using a cat6 was impractical so I got 2 EX8000.
One as extender (for the office) and the other as access point (I shut off the router ‘s WiFi and patched cable to the AP)
My foolish thinking, yes I’m kicking myself for being this dumb - no need to hound me. Was that by using the AP as dualband I would get faster WiFi (snacking Head)
Didn’t work that way. And I was already at the Max broadband available to my area (according to AT&T). So I switched to XFinity, now I get 200 Mbps dual band (from the router). Been using this for 2 days and so far we’re happy with the speed and the EX800 (both as extenders) are working flawlessly.
Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7