× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000, R9000 and the Logon problem

Ceepeebee
Tutor

EX8000, R9000 and the Logon problem

Hi all,

Finally I settled on the EX8000 to extend my R9000 (rather than switching out to an Orbi Mesh system which I had issues with). The EX8000 turned up, I turned it on, used the app to setup, and all was good.

I've positioned it in a location that helps me achieve my maximum internet speed wherever I want, which is great. A+ so far.

A slight issue I have however is that I cannot seem to logon to the web interface with any regularity. I have to be close to the Extender itself, with a wireless device, and I have to toggle Wi-Fi on that device in order to access the logon page. From an Ethernet connected machine I cannot hit the logon page either.

Any ideas here as I want to manually control firmware updates and jump on more often to granular change the channels as  well as see which devices are connecting, with what signal strength.

Any ideas? I might have to bounce my switches if there's a routing table issue, but I seriously doubt that given it's been assigned a new DHCP lease.

Message 1 of 7
Ceepeebee
Tutor

Just in addition, this has been updated to  Firmware Version: V1.0.1.206 and is now sitting on a static IP (just in case).

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Are you using the app?

If so, I'd just use the browser and use the ip address for the extender. it also gives you more controls in the browser versus the app. 

You said you've already set a static address for it so you can just set that as a favorite in whatever device you're using. 

Message 3 of 7
Ceepeebee
Tutor

Yes I've been using the browser - I've updated the firmware and so far so good...

Message 4 of 7
Ceepeebee
Tutor

Unfortunately, I spoke way too soon. The problem continues.

I factory reset my EX8000 today and set a static IP just as I did previously, and after a couple of hours, whilst wireless connectivity seems to be intact I can no longer ping the EX8000 or logon to it, unless I'm using a wireless device that is specifically connected to the extender itself.

This seems such a fundamental issue but I can't troubleshoot it.

For reference I'm using an R9000 using Smart connect on F/W   V1.0.4.2, and an EX8000  (again using a single SSID name across the bands wit a F/W version of 1.0.1.206.

Any help greatly appreciated as this is beyond annoying now.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

so to get this straight, its working properly, you're just having issues access it?
Have you tried using the ip address for accessing it?
Message 6 of 7
Ceepeebee
Tutor

Let me clarify.  Here's the series of events:

1. Everything is working fine; smart connect setup on R9000, and replicated on EX8000 - coverage is great.
  2. A period of time (sporadic - hours or days can pass) later, I start to notice that some mobile devices are switching to mobile data as the WiFi network (previously working fine as above) is now stating it has "no internet connection". If I force the device to continue to use the network despite the reported issue, everything continues to work (i.e. Internet connectivity is fine regardless of what the device thinks). Laptops and other devices seem unaffected at this point.
  3.  Some further time passes and  I stop being able to access the EX8000's management interface by IP address or the mobile app.  Using a mobile device that is specifically connecting to my network through the EX8000 as opposed to my router, does work though.
  4. Moving forward in time, all attempts to access the management interface  via the IP or the application, via wired devices on the network or wireless, fails.
  5. A reboot of the R9000 seems to resolve this problem in the short term. A reboot of the R9000 and the Ex8000 seems to settle things down, and we return to (1) again.

I've noticed a few other things too; I cannot change the device name of the EX8000. I use the interface to specify a new name and it reboots as expected, but maintains the same device name.

I'm using the latest available firmware on the EX8000.

Currently, all is well, but I'm just waiting for my Wife or somebody to moan about their internet dying and me having to toggle their wireless settings, forget the network and reconnect, or even worse, bounce the router/extender. It's just not conducive to a fully functioning piece of kit.

Thoughts?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7