× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 Virtual MAC Address For Wired Devices?

ANewSmurf
Aspirant

EX8000 Virtual MAC Address For Wired Devices?

Good Morning,

Convention:

---> Means Wired Connection

+-+> Means Wifi Connection

Here is my configuration:

ISP BOX ---> EX8000-1 +-+> EX8000-2 ---> Servers (Multiples services like DNS, DHCP, Mail, Web, DLNA & So on).

ISP BOX don't provide DHCP

EX8000-1 is configured as an Access Point

EX8000-2 is configured as an Extender

I can understand the principle of Virtual MAC Address for Wifi Devices, however it is a little bit more tricky to understand the principle of Virtual MAC Address for Wired Devices, as they are supposed not to move on the networrk.

The issue I have, and I'm not sure it is linked to Virtual MAC Address for Wired Devices, my wifi clients connected to EX8000-1 or EX8000-2 are not able to get dynamic IP Address from my DHCP server (ISC DHCPD) that is wired connected to EX8000-2.

I think it could be great to add an option to be able to desactive the Virtual MAC Adddress feature for Wired Devices.

Please think about my request.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2
ANewSmurf
Aspirant

Re: EX8000 Virtual MAC Address For Wired Devices?

Good Evening

I did a test by interverting EX8000-1 & EX8000-2

Convention:

---> Means Wired Connection

+-+> Means Wifi Connection

Here is my configuration:

ISP BOX ---> EX8000-2 +-+> EX8000-1 ---> Servers (Multiples services like DNS, DHCP, Mail, Web, DLNA & So on).

ISP BOX don't provide DHCP

EX8000-1 is configured as an Access Point

EX8000-2 is configured as an Extender

After that DHCP is working, but EX8000-1 claimed that it is not connected to Internet and EX8000-2 is not reachable for management (Note that I activated during the day Sync Configuration from NETGEAR Router to see but no change during the day and may be it is the cause for the unreachbility).

So I think there is an issue with Repeter Mode and Virtual MAC Address.

Note that both EX8000 are using firmware 1.0.1.206.

Could you investigate and provide another firmware to solve that. Troubleshooting tools could be helpful too (Like ping, traceroute and so on from the Management Interface).

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7