× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000 and Nighthawk AX8 Problem

Kamarinchev
Tutor

EX8000 and Nighthawk AX8 Problem

I have a lot of problems between RAX80 and EX8000 

* All ( router and extender ) firmware is up-to-date

* Reset both devices twice

* I connected Extender both methods - on Nighthawk APP and WPS Button

* I connect an EX8000 extender to my RAX80 router via an WiFi rather than via Ethernet cable

- no device in the house can access internet on 5GHz ( when Power OFF Extender everything is okay )

- a lot freezing on 2.4Ghz ( must to restart router )

- Internet speeds is worst with EX8000

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

1. Saying the latest doesn't tell us anything. Some versions have issues. What version is on each.

2. What modem are you using? 

3. Are you using AX on the RAX80? some devices had/have issues with it. Have you tried disabling it? 

4. Have you tried changing wifi channels or did you leave it on auto? 

5. Have you tried re-installing the firmware on both devices? A reset only removes settings, it doesn't overwrite the firmware. Re-installing can do this if something was corrupt in one of them. 

Message 2 of 5
Kamarinchev
Tutor

1. RAX 80 Router firmware version is V1.0.1.70_1.0.30, the EX8000 firmware version is V1.0.1.206

2. The modem model is Cisco EPC3208 ( never had a problem with it when is connected to Tp-Link Archer C8 or Nighthawk X4S R7800

3. I tried to enable and disable  AX option, MU-MIMO option as well but I received again very bad performance

4. I tried to change WiFi channels on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - for 2.4Ghz I tried auto and manual 2/4/6 channels on the other hand for 5Ghz tried 40/44 and100 channel but again received a bad performance

5. No, I just restarted router and extender several times

After 20 min work, Rax80 gets very hot and smells bad, fan not turn on. I hear Fan working only when restarting it. When the router gets hot I think performance decrease but I'm not sure.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@Kamarinchev wrote:

1. RAX 80 Router firmware version is V1.0.1.70_1.0.30, the EX8000 firmware version is V1.0.1.206

2. The modem model is Cisco EPC3208 ( never had a problem with it when is connected to Tp-Link Archer C8 or Nighthawk X4S R7800

3. I tried to enable and disable  AX option, MU-MIMO option as well but I received again very bad performance

4. I tried to change WiFi channels on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - for 2.4Ghz I tried auto and manual 2/4/6 channels on the other hand for 5Ghz tried 40/44 and100 channel but again received a bad performance

5. No, I just restarted router and extender several times

After 20 min work, Rax80 gets very hot and smells bad, fan not turn on. I hear Fan working only when restarting it. When the router gets hot I think performance decrease but I'm not sure.

I would try the re-install of firmware on the devices. If that doesn't work, i'd try a downgrade of firmware. The RAX's a pretty new devices and have been having a few issues that netgear's been working on. 

And potentially the RAX IS getting hot/overheating. How old is it? 

Message 4 of 5
Kamarinchev
Tutor

Thanks a lot I will try to reinstall firmware. RAX80 is almost new I have had it since 2019 August.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7