× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000 and R8000P setup using second 5G

RRAL
Aspirant

EX8000 and R8000P setup using second 5G

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup my EX8000 with my R8000P.  Both are tri-band, but it's not configuring the way I thought it would. I was expexcting the communication between the router and the extender to use the second 5G, but it's using the 2.4G and the first 5G.  I would prefer to have them both use the second 5G and not have anything else connected to it.  Is this possible?  Am I just not understanding how this works?

Thanks

Ron

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
RRAL
Aspirant

Sorry, should have said I'm using it in extender mode and I'm trying to extend both my 2.4G and 5G networks using the same names as the router.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Normally you'd enable fastlane and use one of the 5G radios for the backhaul link to the router.  Then the other 5G radio in the extender would be client-facing.

5G-2 is the best backhaul choice since it's the fastest radio (4x4 ac)

Is this how you've set it up?

Message 3 of 7
RRAL
Aspirant

I'm not sure if it's setup that way or not, but that's want I wanted to do.  I'm unclear on whether is does that automatically or not.  I can't find a way to change it.  Attached is a screen shot of my status page which seems to show that it isn't configured that way, but maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

It looks like it's connecting to the router on 5G-1 (channel 44).  Not horrible, but not ideal.

Can you give 5G-2 on the router a different network name?

Message 5 of 7
RRAL
Aspirant

Yes, it's named EXTLINK

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@RRAL wrote:

Yes, it's named EXTLINK

Then check that the EX8000 is set up to use EXTLINK for it's router connection.  Normally 5G-1 is only for lower channels, and 5G-2 is only for upper ones.  So that should result in the EX8000 using it's 5G-2 radio to reach the router.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7