× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000 as WiFi extender + ethernet connection

GV18
Aspirant

EX8000 as WiFi extender + ethernet connection

Hello

I have recently purchased a pair of EX8000 wifi extenders to use in conjuction with a Nighthawk X10. I am experiencing some problems and would like to seek for your views/suggestions. If I use one EX8000 only as wifi extender there are no issues with the connection. If I add another EX8000 (both connected to the router via WDS) the connection is still stable but there are few dropouts. The problems become more serious when I connect devices to the two EX8000 using ethernet cables. In those cases the dropouts are frequent and very often the overall SSID disappears forcing cell phones to get back to LTE networks. All Netgear devices are updated to the latest firmware. Any suggestions for solving the issue?

Thanks very much in advance!

Message 1 of 17
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @GV18,

Did you noticed any changes in LED pattern on extender when this issue occurs?

Message 2 of 17
GV18
Aspirant

Hi jvasanth1984

thanks for your reply. I have not checked but as far as I remember the LED were the same during the issue. I will pay more attention. Any idea of why this issue may happen?

Best,

Message 3 of 17
GV18
Aspirant

Nobody experienced the same issue? I have noted that there are no patterns in the lights of the EX8000 when the issue arises. It happens to both of my extenders hence I should assume that it is something related to hardware/software integration? Anyone from Netgear willing to help? Thanks.

Message 4 of 17
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @GV18,

1. Please indicate the exact firmware version of the devices (X10 and EX8000).

2. How far apart are the extenders?

3. Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

4.Have you tried resetting the any of the devices?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 17
GV18
Aspirant

Hi Dexter

regarding your queries:

1. all devices are update to the latest firmware

2. both extenders are no more than 2 meters away from the router. The extenders themselves are separated by a wall as they are placed in two separate rooms

3. I tried. I checked the coverage but all channels are relatively crowded as I live in an apartment (surrounded by other apartments with various other routers)

4. Yes several times. 

The issue seems to be happening every time I have both extenders on and both they are connected via ethernet to other devices (like a movable network switch). If I use the extenders only wireless (no ethernet cables attached), the problem does not occur or at least I have not experienced yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Message 6 of 17
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @GV18,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 7 of 17
davidaj
Aspirant

I have similar problem since updating the firmware to latest version. I will get intermittent disconnects from the extender, so my phone will revert to LTE mobile network briefly, then the wifi will return shortly afterwards. I cannot say what is causing it as I don't know when it is going to happen, but I don't see any change in the lights on the unit when it is "down".

Could it be related to the DHCP lease renewal? I have this set to hourly on my router, and this could roughly be the interval at which the disconnects occur. So the extender needs to renew its lease for its IP address (it is provided its IP via DHCP from the router, not statically assigned), and during this time it disconnects from the network and I lose all my connected devices?

I've rebooted/reset the device a couple of times but still get the issue. It seemed fine before the firmware upgrade (I can't tell you the previous version unfortunately as I did not take note).

Model: EX8000|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wall-plug Range Extender
Message 8 of 17
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @davidaj @GV18,

Try to modify wireless channel on router and check if that helps. If persist, reset and reconfigure the extender.

Message 9 of 17
VernonX
Guide

I have 4 EX8000 and get random disconnects to network/internet (both). These are 'replacements' for 4 EX7000 (in the same locations) which did not have this problem. This is a problem because an alarm system is connected. I use unique static address for each EX8000. They all exhibit this problem, but not a the same time. I"m guessing it is inactivity related. This is a serious reliability issue. Since the EX7000 did not have this problem, this is a regression. No mission critical functions should use these devices, IHMO., untill Negear has a fix.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 10 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@VernonX wrote:

I have 4 EX8000 and get random disconnects to network/internet (both). These are 'replacements' for 4 EX7000 (in the same locations) which did not have this problem. This is a problem because an alarm system is connected. I use unique static address for each EX8000. They all exhibit this problem, but not a the same time. I"m guessing it is inactivity related. This is a serious reliability issue. Since the EX7000 did not have this problem, this is a regression. No mission critical functions should use these devices, IHMO., untill Negear has a fix.

• Are you using them in extender mode, or AP mode?
  • Are you using the one-wifi-name feature?

If the router network and the extender networks are using the same SSID, then it is possible that extender A is sometimes reconnecting to extender B (disconnecting from the router network that uses the same SSID).  So maybe give the router radio you want to use for backhaul a unique SSID.

Message 11 of 17
VernonX
Guide

Extender mode. I do not use the one-ssid feature. Both wireless radios are disabled. I only have ethernet devices connected to the extenders (they function as wireless switches).

Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

You still have the third radio enabled, so you can backhaul your ethernet to the router - correct?  Are those using the same SSID as the router?

What router are you using btw?

Message 13 of 17
VernonX
Guide

I'm using R8500. If I follow: yes, the ssid for (5Ghz) wireless devices to connect to the router is the same (5Ghz) ssid used to connect the extenders to the router. The router also handles 2.4Ghz wireless devices, using a different ssid.

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@VernonX wrote:

yes, the ssid for (5Ghz) wireless devices to connect to the router is the same (5Ghz) ssid used to connect the extenders to the router. 

I'm suggesting using a different SSID on the extenders (say SSID_EXTa, b, c, d), but still configuring them to connect to the router SSID for the backhaul.

That prevents Extender A from connecting to Extender B (instead of connecting to the router).  The extender will roam to the strongest signal, and that might change from time to time (depending on signal conditions). Using a different SSID in each extender would let you daisy-chain through another extender if that's needed.  That's not the best topology, it's usually better to go connect directly to the router.  But sometimes it's not avoidable.

Message 15 of 17
VernonX
Guide

Perhaps I'm not being clear:

Router A (2.4 & 5 enabled)--->ssid 5-->

Extender 1 {2.4 & 5 disabled} only ethernet ports are used

Extender 2 {2.4 & 5 disabled} only ethernet ports are used

Extender 3 {2.4 & 5 disabled} only ethernet ports are used

Extender 4 {2.4 & 5 disabled} only ethernet ports are used

Router A uses Smart Connect for 5 ssid, 2.4 & 5 SSID are distinct

Message 16 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Of course the EX8000 are triband, so I wanted to confirm that the fastlane radio's network name wasn't configured as SSID 5 on the extenders.  I'm away at the moment, so I can't check how the GUI is organized on my own EX8000.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7