× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 connect to another EX8000

JCLs
Aspirant

EX8000 connect to another EX8000

Previous discussion resulted in recommendation not to do it and theN a list of links to how the Extenders worked. Not helpful. I have router in central location and two EX8000 extenders. Everything works fine EXCEPT one video camera outside structure and needed for security monitor. The building is primarily a concrete structure and wifi has tough time. There is a window in the room by the external camera. There is a decent signal from EX8000 in the room. We feel putting an extender in the window would solve the problem but it would have to connect to the EX8000 not the router as router too far away. Can this be done and how?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
res1983
Guide

Re: EX8000 connect to another EX8000

Is there any way to run a network cable to one or both units? I have a house setup with R7000 as the main unit and (2) EX7000 wired in AP mode. This would solve your issue!

What is your router? Do you need to upgrade the router to extend more coverage? What Is the interior of the location of the Router? Lots of walls? Open Spaces?

I too place one of my extender in a window to gain coverage at my main house. 

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Are you trying to add another EX8000 to the setup or just move it to the window?

Message 3 of 5
JCLs
Aspirant

The closest EX8000 does not have enough signal at the range and location of the camera. Again, big private house near the beach made with concrete floors and external walls The router, a Knighthawk X4S AC2600 Smart WiFi Router, is optimally located with 2 extenders located in opposite directions from it and the entire house has excellent to good WiFi signal. The camera was added to monitor on outside wall of house due to repeated incidents with vehicles hitting that wall. (Beach traffic) .

I am very sure an extender placed in a window near the camera location would provide a good signal to the camera. That extender would have hard time reaching the router, probably not at all. As the room as a good signal from existing router can another router be connected to it and if so how? That is what I need to know. I have a perfectly good system in place that now has an added requirement. I don't need a different router and the configuration was well thought out and does not and really cannot be changed. Running cable would be very messy. 

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

I am very sure an extender placed in a window near the camera location would provide a good signal to the camera. That extender would have hard time reaching the router, probably not at all. As the room as a good signal from existing router can another router be connected to it and if so how? That is what I need to know. I have a perfectly good system in place that now has an added requirement. ----Probably not a perfect system then. Added requirements change things. I don't need a different router and the configuration was well thought out and does not and really cannot be changed. ----Anything can change with time/planning. Running cable would be very messy. 

Daisy chaining extenders is a recipe for issues. Not saying it can't be done but it tends to have poor performance and stability. Especially when you're running the onessid function as extenders can connect to each other, the wrong extender, or not daisy chain and try to reach the router. 

When you're needing multiple extenders or wanting to daisy chain the best bet is turning to a full mesh system like orbi that has a router controlling everything. Especially if you experience those stability issues.

If you're wanting to do it though, you sure can. If you're running into issues you might need to turn off the onessid function on the middle extender. meaning going with:

modem-----router (ssid)------->extender 1 (ssid unique)-------extender (set to connect to extender 1)

This helps prevent the extender at a distance from trying to reach the router or even the opposite sided extender. 

Another option for you is to place an outdoor extender outside the window so at least it opens of line of sight a little. 

I know the RBS50Y and the WBC502 are both outdoor rated. The RBS50Y has a standard extender mode versus the WBC502 would need to be hardwired in. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7