× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000 connects to router, but no internet

woodman51
Follower

EX8000 connects to router, but no internet

I have the extender saying it's up and running, with 100% connection to my ViaSat wifi/Modem. I can connect to the extended networks, (  2.4 & 5.0, although the Viasat only broadcasts on one at a time ), with phones, laptops, etc., but with the message "there may be no internet connection." The EX8000 is showing good to the ViaSat Modem/Router , but no internet connection. The Modem is connected to the internet, wired and wireless. Any ideas, suggestions.....I  have run power cycles, factory resets, and WPS and wired connections on both. I have to get this to extend my WiFi out to my shop! 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

I was doing a little research on the Viasat wifi modem you mentioned. From reading I'd be willing to bet thats where the issue comes from. the forums for them are rife with that router being pretty close to worthless. Most recommend placing it in modem only mode and connecting your own router. Even those that get extenders working usual are doing so by hooking up their own router and then adding in an extender. 

One thing you could try doing, the EX8000 has a wired access point mode. You could place the EX8000 in AP mode and hardwire it into the viasat router. Disable the wireless on the viasat so it doesn't interfere. You might be surprised at the better range and wifi stability you'll get from just trying this. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I was doing a little research on the Viasat wifi modem you mentioned. From reading I'd be willing to bet thats where the issue comes from. the forums for them are rife with that router being pretty close to worthless. Most recommend placing it in modem only mode and connecting your own router. Even those that get extenders working usual are doing so by hooking up their own router and then adding in an extender. 

One thing you could try doing, the EX8000 has a wired access point mode. You could place the EX8000 in AP mode and hardwire it into the viasat router. Disable the wireless on the viasat so it doesn't interfere. You might be surprised at the better range and wifi stability you'll get from just trying this. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7