× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 - is there a way to configure the extended 5Ghz channel (from default channel 44)?

mburta
Follower

EX8000 - is there a way to configure the extended 5Ghz channel (from default channel 44)?

Is there a way to configure the (default) 5Ghz channel (44) on the EX8000?   I don't see a way.

My EX8000 is paired with a Nighthawk C7800 router.  Within the C7800 login screen - when I select Advanced...Administration...Wireless Channel - then select the 5GHz network - and hover my mouse over the channel 44 bar - I see that along with my 5GHz wifi network - four other wifi networks are occupying the same channel.  To avoid conflict - I want to move my 5 GHz wifi network out of channel 44 to another (unoccupied) channel.  Is this possible and if so - are there recommended channels to try/avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: EX8000 - is there a way to configure the extended 5Ghz channel (from default channel 44)?

You're caught in a catch-22. The EX8000 uses 2x 5ghz chips. One is higher 5ghz and the other is lower 5ghz. One is used for backhaul connection between router----extender and the other is for extender----devices. 

And because of channel overlap, you're going to be overlapping those channels regardless. (i'll attach a diagram showing channel overlap)

so either the backhaul will be overlapping on channel 44 or the fronthaul will be. One will regardless. 

On the plus side, 5ghz doesn't broadcast very far or through much materials. And its much much faster than 2.4ghz. 

So it suffers from much less interference issues than 2.4ghz. Even though there's other networks that use that channel, it won't take the samer performance hit the 2.4ghz channels do. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7