× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 using 2 extenders at once but problems connecting to router

Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

EX8000 using 2 extenders at once but problems connecting to router

Hi

My setup is the XR500 Nighthawk router and i have 2 EX8000 extenders. I am using one name to allow roaming and fastlane.

I have positioned the extenders so that the router is in the middle location ( 8000 - router - 8000 ) but I notice that if I turn one off then when reconnecting it will join the other extender and not the router. The same happens if a radar is detected and I have to reset my main router back to a high channel which happens every now and again.

I have managed to work around this by turning both on at the same time and 90% of the time this works but I cant figure out why they do this as the wifi from the router must be stronger as its positioned in the middle of both.

Ive assigned a static IP address to them as sometimes when starting both up I had a conflict.

Im guessing the one name feature is confusing them even though they are set apart and the router is in the middle location.

Is there a way of using one name setup and a way of telling the extenders to only join the router?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: EX8000 using 2 extenders at once but problems connecting to router

What Firmware version is loaded on the EX?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and extender(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Is Smart connect enabled on the XR and EX's? 

Message 2 of 5
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Hi 

The EX has theV 1.0.1.192

i havearound 30ft between extenders and the property is full of brick walls.

ive located the extenders so that the signal strength is ok from my XR500.

One name, smart connect and sync with router are on both extenders and XR and I’ve also tried it with smart connect off too on the extenders but still get the issue. If I disable smart connect on the XR I cant use the one name function.

the XR uses DFS channel 100 which then means the extenders will use channel 48. If I reboot one extender it will connect to the other extender even though the status shows a poor connection.

my only work around is to boot both extenders up at the same time so they pick up the Wi-fi from the router.

i take it there’s no way to force them to recognise the router over each other?

I could stop using the one name feature but then the roaming function will not work and that’s what I like about this setup.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya there no way to tell the extender to connect always to the router. Why having more than one extender in this configuration would be problematic.

If you had a Orbi MESH system, it would differ as then you could disable Daisy Chain feature and the remote satellites would always be connected to the base router. 

Message 4 of 5
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Thanks for your help.

i did think of the Orbi but I like my old gaming and thought the XR500 would be perfect. No complaints on the router it’s great.

once I boot both extenders up together it’s  fine and dandy but booting one up at a time is an issue. 

Its a shame I can’t run cables to them from the router as that would solve it. 

I would like to see on the ex8000 some transmit power control as that would help so I’m hoping Netgear add more in the next firmware update to give flexible options on their extender.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7