× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 w/ R7800 loses connectivity randomly

alexnescalante
Initiate

EX8000 w/ R7800 loses connectivity randomly

Using 2 EX8000 nodes (both running V1.0.1.164, both have also been restored to factory after version upgrade)

Router: Nighthawk X4S R7800 (v. 1.0.2.58)

Issue:

EX8000 node will lose connectivty to the internet along with the rest of the local network. Node will still broadcast a 5Gz and a 2.4Gz signal, though it will connect to nothing (No Internet Connection message in iOS). A hard reset (unplugging the device) will fix the issue, though it will drop internet access again (no set time from what I can tell).

Steps taken in order to mediate:
1.) Restore nodes to factory and reset using SMART setup.

2.) Configure for Static IP address to an IP in the backend of the spectrum (192.168.X.2XX). Both nodes are seperated by a good amount of digits between each other.

3.) Unplugged one node and leave the other node on. Still collapses.

I've checked the main router when a disconnection has occurred. The IP nor Mac Address shows up in the connected devices. I have not turned off "One WiFi Name", as running this as a mesh was the entire point of purchasing these.

I will be testing 1.0.0.118 today, as others have suggested, but would like to document this, in case my devices are faulty.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 13
alexnescalante
Initiate

Re: EX8000 w/ R7800 loses connectivity randomly

Other info

- LED lights stay on, with 5GHz backfill in solid white. No other indication of problems shows up.
- Looks at the UI, signal fluctuates from 30Mbps to 1300 - 1733 Mbps. Mainly stays in 1300 -1733 Mbps, but can drop at a random point. LED lights do not reflect this.

Message 2 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @alexnescalante,

Welcome to the community!

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 3 of 13
cutright
Initiate

C7000 w/EX8000 having the same issue. how did you resolve this?

Message 4 of 13
NBR-IPD
Aspirant

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi @alexnescalante,

Welcome to the community!

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

I have the same dropping connection issue with my EX8000 extender connected to my R9000 x10.  Any ideas to try?  Can something be posted on this thread to try or sent to my inbox?

Message 5 of 13
ntculenuf
Aspirant

I was hoping for a suggestion or fix when I found this thread.

My equipment Nighthawk X6 R8000 and EX8000 connected via wifi, setup as an extender (not using smart connect)

My EX8000 is constantly losing connection. I have a few things hardwired that consistently drops off. I have a TV connected to it via hard line and wifi as a back up. I did this because I'll be streaming something get an error saying no Internet. with the TV being able to switch over to wifi when this happens is the band-aid that works. Unfortunately I have a few things that need that hard wire connection that disappear from my network on a daily, for hours sometimes. Sometimes can't see them on my network then the next day they are back. All the while the wifi from the EX8000 is working.

Message 6 of 13
Snoova
Aspirant

I am having similar issues.  Internet drops ont he EX8000 and the lights are all still white.  Have to unplug.  Sometimes last hours, sometimes...5 minutes.

High dollar equipment to be doing this.

Message 7 of 13
ntculenuf
Aspirant

I called Netgear and had my extender RMA'd. In the mean time I bought another one cause I need the WiFi at that end of the house. So that no issues with the new one. My phone passing from the router to extender is having but that's more my phone.
Message 8 of 13
SBP
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same set up and constant loss of internet.  

Have you recieved any help on this issue?

Thank you

Message 9 of 13
ntculenuf
Aspirant

The RMA'd extender just showed up today. I still have the replacement one I bought connected. Haven't noticed any connectivity or IP address changes like with the original extender. Not sure if it's just a coincidence but I relocated my router (night hawk R8000) about 3ft higher. It's in the same location of the house just up higher. The network seems to be working better than before. Solid connectivity with connected equipment and extender. Who knows, like I said could be coincidental.
Message 10 of 13
ntculenuf
Aspirant

.A couple other things that I should mention in case it may help someone else. When I bought the replacement extender I factory reset my R8000/AC3200 Netgear router to start off with a clean slate. My expertise level on network is "I know just enough to be dangerous". this is just what seems to be working for my setup (hopefully it stays).

On the EX8000/AC3000 WiFi mesh extender (the R8000 followed setup as instructed)

1. I set the extender to a static IP address. (The RMA'd EX8000 was jumping IP address' like crazy.)

I tried to setup a MAC ID reservations at the router on both devices with no luck. The IP address wouldn't stay consistent even with the

new extender I coudn't get the MAC ID reservation to work. I find this to be very odd, since the way a MAC ID reservation works (my understanding) is when it sees the MAC address of said device it will give said IP address no ands ,if's or buts. We do this quite often at my company for IP controlled devices in home automation. MAC reservations seem more reliable with power outages and firmware updates resetting a device on reboot. (clients can get pretty upset when the TV doesn't turn on)

2. I did not let the New EX8000 update firmware on setup. after trouble shooting the first one I read about a lot of issues after the update. All of which I was having with the RMA'd extender.

So Since installing the new EX8000 while the original was being RMA'd I have had zero issues that I have noticed. The extender stays connected and the mesh network is strong. With the shape of my house I am thinking about using the extender I got back  from Netgear on the other side of my house to boost the WiFi signal to my other garage. A little overkill but hey I got it just sitting here. Also as i said in my other reply I had moved my R8000 router 3 ft higher in the same location and the network overall seems to have  improved. Could all be coincidence. Good luck everybody. For the cost I really want this system to work really well.

**edited a few times to fix mispellings and add router model#**

Message 11 of 13
davekimdolan
Aspirant

I, too, am losing connectivity in the same way--lights remain on and connected but no wifi.  This has been going on for months occasionally but has increased to at least three or four times/day over the last week.  Please advise.  I do have the latest firmware.

Message 12 of 13
mulgrew
Aspirant

had this same problem using Netgear - Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Tri-band Wi-Fi Router with ex8000 to extend the range, i have now split the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels and turned off smart connect on both the router and extender and so far seems to have solved the problem 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7