× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000

JamesAZ
Aspirant

EX8000

I have connected the extender to my router via ethernet cable. The dashboard is telling me no connection. The lights for Link Status and the Maximum Throughout are not lit. I have checked all the settings and I am out of patience and ideas. It worked great wirelessly for four months, now keeps dropping connection. I am wondering if it is because my chance to sign up for Netgear Armour expired. Funny how it worked flawlessly for four months. So I decided to hook it up through the ethernet cable and still can't get it to connect. Am I missing something? Thanks

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: EX8000

If you direct connected it to your router, did you re-run setup and do it in access point mode? 

If its wired in, it needs to be in access point mode and not extender mode. 

Message 2 of 5
JamesAZ
Aspirant

Thanks for answering back. Yes I did. That went through no problem. And I'm pretty sure my wireless device (Phone) connected to it. I have one seperate WiFi name on it for my automation devices (smart home devices)jthat I don't have on my main router. Once it is set up, that name is listed on my phone to hook to and it does. My smart devices seem to be hooked up to that name and working. Even the phone appears to be working of the internet. I hit on a video from a social media site and it played no problem. The client link light is a solid white, showing it's hooked to a WiFi device. Just no Link Status or Maximum Throughout. Is it possible that they don't light up when hooked up directly with an Ethernet Cable? My confusion started prior to switching to the cable hook up. Those same two lights where not on and I wasn't getting any connection. Nor could I get it to connect. Which is why I tried the cable method. Even on the dashboard of the extender, it says I do not have a connection, but they may be referring to wireless. I'm not sure. And by the way if I didn't mention it, the main router is a Netgear Nighthawk X6  AC3200, model R8000. I tried to purchase what I thought would be the most compatable units. Thanks again for any help.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

correct. If you have it hardwired in and running in AP (access point) mode you won't see a link status or maximum throughput light. That's more designed for when its running in extender mode. 

Message 4 of 5
JamesAZ
Aspirant

Oh Boy. That was a lot of worrying and time wasted. Thank you for letting me know that. I really apprecite it. I started testing the smart things hooked up to the extender and found everything was working. Well that was yesterday. Today I noticed some of my Smart Home devices and Ring network were not working. I have them connected to seperated WiFi name titled Automation. As I said, all was working yesterday. I come today and the name Automation can't be found anywhere when I check on my Iphone or Ipad devices. I just can not figure out what to do anymore. Everything involving WiFi in so inconsistent and unreliable. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7