× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000

Big_Fred
Follower

EX8000

I have a RAX45 router downstairs and a EX8000 extender upstairs. When connected to the extender the speeds are significantly slower. When I run a speed test on the router I'm getting 900+ MBPS but when I run a speed test on the extender I'm only getting 30-45 MBPS. What can I do to increase the speed on the extender? The firmware is up to date and I've rebooted it several times but it's still slow.

Message 1 of 3

Re: EX8000

@Big_Fred wrote:

When I run a speed test on the router I'm getting 900+ MBPS but when I run a speed test on the extender I'm only getting 30-45 MBPS.

Very few wifi clients can get anywhere near 900 Mpbs. You don't say how you run the speed test on the router, but it may well go nowhere near your wifi. Even if you use a mobile app to run the test, it is a direct measure of the speed between the router and your Internet service provider.

You don't say what the wifi clients are. 30-45 Mbps is as fast as some 2.4 GHz kit can deliver.

Do your devices perform a lot better when you test their wifi speed on the router, or anywhere else?

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: EX8000

A couple things. 

1. The RAX is a AX router versus the EX8000 an AC extender

2. The ex8000 has a 1733mbps and a 866mbps 5ghz band. Either band is going to limit your AC link speed to max of 866mbps. Thats link speed, not actual throughput

3. as @michaelkenward said, it matters if you're connecting to the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz. The 2.4ghz is a much slower network and the speed your getting sounds like you're connecting to the 2.4ghz

4. what wired speeds do you get from the ex8000?

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7