× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Effectiveness of PLW 1000v2 and PLW 1010v2

Blabbs
Aspirant

Effectiveness of PLW 1000v2 and PLW 1010v2

My need is to extend the power of my Router/Modem to a shed about 150 feet from the Router. Among other reasons for this need is to provide better quality Router and WiFi signal for my Arlo Security Cameras. Please correct me if this is incorrect, but I have been told that the Netgear PLW1000v2 and the PLW1010v2. It was suggested that the PLW1010v2 was more powerful than the PLW1000v2. Which product is better and why? Also please let me know if you have an upgrade or another product that provides better quality to meet my needs. Lastly, I cannot find either product on Amazon. Nothing comes up under key words: Netgear PLW1000v2 or PLW1010v2. Please do an Amazon search to see for yourself. Where can I obtain either of these products? Are these products marketed under different names.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Effectiveness of PLW 1000v2 and PLW 1010v2

drop the V2 off there when you search. You'll get more results. That just means its version 2. I did search for plw1000 and plw1010 and found both of them on amazon.

150ft is quite far for powerline to reach. I'm not sure if it will. if you're going to buy into it, I'd buy from somewhere with a generous return policy so you can return them if they don't reach.
Message 2 of 4
Blabbs
Aspirant

I was told v2 is considerably more powerful than the "v1" and that v2 would likely work for that distance but v1 would definitely not.  No one at Netgear seems to know either product.  Simple questions as to the difference between PLW1000  and PLW1010 remain unanswered.   As a Gearhead, I contacted the Gearhead people and for three separate calls, NO ONE could explain anything about the PLW1000 or PLW1010.  What a waste of $200.  The inablity to locate v2 is astonishing.  Appears that Netgear simply doesn't care about the details in marketing the products.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the 2 versions. (plw1010 internally identicle to plw1000)

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Netgear_PLW1010v2

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Netgear_PLW1000

I'm not sure who told you one was significantly more powerful but in my experience, there isn't a big difference inbetween 2 versions of the same model. The difference is usually just sourcing parts or using a smaller/more efficient cpu type situation. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7