× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet cables and the X6 AC2200 range extender

Bobbm2
Guide

Ethernet cables and the X6 AC2200 range extender

Hello all,

I have just bought a new house but my new garage/workshop is too far away to receive a wifi signal directly from the router or via the extender. I have a shed load of ethernet cable and am wondering if I can connect my Netgear range extender (X6 AC2200) directly to my router with this cable? I have not moved in yet but have been trying to find information on-line about this issue but can't find anything. I'm not an expert at networking but would appreciate some simple instructions.

Many thanks,

Bob

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Ethernet cables and the X6 AC2200 range extender

The EX7700 is a pretty rock solid extender. 

Unless you have wifi 6 (AX) devices, the EX7700 is still going to be one of the best performing extenders/access points out there. 

And when wired in, its triband. So its got plenty of bandwidth. 

Like I said, unless you're looking at going wifi 6 and its meeting your needs, I'd keep using it. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What AC2200 is it? (AC2200 is a speed not a model)

Most of the range extenders have an access point mode that lets you wire them into the router. 

If you go to the support site and type in your model number, it'll take you to guides/manuals/firmware. If yours supports access point mode, it'll be in the manual. 

Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/
Type in your model number and from there it'll take you to the above.
Its a great resource to start with.

Message 2 of 9
Bobbm2
Guide

Thanks for the super fast reply plemens. It's an EX7700 model. I've had a look through everything but can't work out how to set it up as an access point on the Netgear Nighthawk app. It doesn't ask me, like it says it should, if I want to set up an access point. Should I reset the extender and have another go? Would it be easier if I set up a different Wi-fi SSID?

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

to set it up in access point mode, use the installation assistant and not the app. 

That'll give you the option of setting up in extender mode or access point mode

Message 4 of 9
Bobbm2
Guide

Hi Plemens. I tried setting up using your suggestion. Plugged in two different Ethernet cables, made sure that the one going to the router was in the WAN socket, used both sockets on the extender, logged in to the extended network at 2.4G and 5G and pressed the button saying to set up in access point mode. But kept on getting the same, 'cannot connect to the internet' message. I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm not a dummy when it comes to PCs but this is driving me nuts. It should be so simple.

Bob

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

The EX7700 shouldn't be plugged into a wan port on the router/gateway. 

It should go from the Lan port on the router to a port on the EX7700.

If the 2nd connection you have hooked up is going to the pc you're using for setup, thats fine. If not, disconnect it. 

What router are you connecting it to? 

Message 6 of 9
Bobbm2
Guide

Hello Plemens.

Your suggestions have been great. Thank you so much. I'm not sure why I was plugging the cable into the WAN port. I really ought to know better.
The router is an ASUS AX82U and everything is working very well now.

I have had the extender for a few years now. Should I maybe get an upgrade?

Anyway, thanks again for your help 😊

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

The EX7700 is a pretty rock solid extender. 

Unless you have wifi 6 (AX) devices, the EX7700 is still going to be one of the best performing extenders/access points out there. 

And when wired in, its triband. So its got plenty of bandwidth. 

Like I said, unless you're looking at going wifi 6 and its meeting your needs, I'd keep using it. 

Message 8 of 9
Bobbm2
Guide

Once again, many thanks.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7