× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet conection to AC3000- X6S Extender

Ratickle1
Tutor

Ethernet conection to AC3000- X6S Extender

I'm trying to find out if the X6S can be connected with an ethernet cable but be used as an extension of the same SSID. I cannot find it anywhere in the documentation or online, or when I called support. Has anyone set one up using an ethernet cable to the extender and had the router and extender both use the same SSID for one seamless network? 

Message 1 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Message 2 of 7
Ratickle1
Tutor

Thanks, But I've read that part several times before posting and it is still unclear to me. It appears to me that when the extender is connected in access point mode it only works as an extender with a new SSID. You completely lose the seamless extension of the existing network. So, as you move from one end of the house to the other the device being used switches from one WIFI network to another. It appears, when I read it, the only way to keep a seamless network is to use it in the WIFI connection mode. 

I hope I'm wrong, but that it the way it appears to me. If so, there is no reason to buy this latest extender unless you want to connect it wirelessly, which loses one 5g channel as it will be exclusively used to connect the extender to the router. 

Am I missing something when I read it?

Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

You can change the SSID to match the existing network. See the section "Change the WiFi Network Name" in the manual.
Message 4 of 7
Ratickle1
Tutor

So, I can link the X6S to the main AC2600 via ethernet cable. Then name both with the same SSID via enable one WIFI name, and I will have one seamless WIFI network that I can wander all over the house and will stay connected to one, (pretty powerful 3 band ), network because I did not use one of the bands to connect the extender to the router? And the extender can also handle 3 ethernet connected devices that will also not hog WIFI speeds? 

If this is true, from what you know should I connect both via CAT6 versus CAT5e cable? Or will that make no difference in speeds?

Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

I've never used an EX8000, so I cannot confirm that the 3rd band will be available for clients to use.

Devices usually decide on their own when to switch Wi-Fi connections.  Unfortunately, many devices will not switch when you expect them to.  A lot of devices are very sticky and won't switch until the connection is close to unusable.

There should be no difference between a Cat6 and Cat5e cable.

Message 6 of 7
RTR17times
Initiate

I too have purchased the AC3000 extender and similarly want to extend the range of my existing network using same SSID.  My extender is a significant distance away in another building so wifi connectivity is the worst option.  I have a Cat6 connection directly to my existing router Nighthawk X6 AC3200.  When I set things up in Access Point mode I also set up the Extender WiFi SSIDs to match my existing ones.  It allowed me to do this but doesn't really appear to work.  I saw somewhere but can't find it now but the MESH functionality doesn't work in AP mode.  

While this isn't a deal breaker it seems completely unnecessary.  I have a well-wired home and I want to blanket the home with an equally capable wireless network leveraging the ethernet backbone that exists.  It seems silly to wirelessly connect extender devices when a wired option is available to me and in my case with my out building, not really an option.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7