× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet to Mesh MS60 faster than Ethernet to MR60 router

PurchaseWinRAR
Follower

Ethernet to Mesh MS60 faster than Ethernet to MR60 router

Hi, so I've recently been using an ethernet connection to a Nighthawk Mesh MS60 which gives me 160mbs although today I've routed an ethernet through some walls to my Netgear gigabit switch that goes directly to my MR60 router and I'm getting 80mbs with that connection, anyone got any ideas as to why it's faster with a wired connection to a wireless extender?

I don't know if it helps at all but I am getting a lower ping when connected to the MR60 router than when connected to the MS60 Extender.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Ethernet to Mesh MS60 faster than Ethernet to MR60 router

@PurchaseWinRAR wrote:

Hi, so I've recently been using an ethernet connection to a Nighthawk Mesh MS60 which gives me 160mbs although today I've routed an ethernet through some walls to my Netgear gigabit switch that goes directly to my MR60 router and I'm getting 80mbs with that connection, anyone got any ideas as to why it's faster with a wired connection to a wireless extender?----I'd check the wire and the switch.  I've seen numerous times where a bad end/nick in a cable dropped speeds from gigabit to 100mbps speeds. Take a known good cat 5e or > cable (short one) and move the switch over by the router. Then test it. directly connect a pc/laptop to the router using the known good cable and see if it hits gigabit speeds. Then add the switch to the known good cable and test it. An easy way to tell if its a cable/switch issue. 

I don't know if it helps at all but I am getting a lower ping when connected to the MR60 router than when connected to the MS60 Extender.----This is expected. The MR system is a dual band system. So signals have to go router-----satellites and then satellite-----device using the same chip in the satellite. And it can't do both at once. Versus the triband systems have a dedicated wired or wireless backhaul to reduce that latency hit. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7