× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet to Wifi Bridge

kriscookuk
Aspirant

Ethernet to Wifi Bridge

Hi guys,

I've just purchased a Netgear EX6200 and i'm trying to set it up as a second WiFi zone if thats the right term. My plan was to run an ethernet cable from my router downstairs into the 6200 and use that as the connection between the two, name both wireless networks the same and stick them on different channels. What i'm looking for is to be able to move around my house and my phone/laptop will pick up the best signal.

Is this possible with the 6200? I've tried but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it other than via Wifi to WiFi, bridging the two seems to stop the wifi working properly.

FYI even with WiFi to WiFi it does significantly improve my coverage over the far corners of my house but having 3 SSiD's to choose from is rather cumbersome (in my case my primary routers SSID which actully emcompasses both 2.4 and 5ghz bands and then the two SSID's the 6200 gives out)

I can assign WiFi preference orders on my laptop but they only kick in when going out of range so i can often be sat by the 6200 holding onto the tiniest bit of signal from my primary router and not using any of the benefits.

Primary router is a BT Home Hub 5 (Which i need for the multicast for BT Sport to work)
Message 1 of 3
fordem
Mentor

Re: Ethernet to Wifi Bridge

Look for a feature on the EX6200 called fastlane and enable it - it lets you use one band as the link to the primary router, and the other for client connections - without this you lose 50% of your throughput.

Once you have enabled fastlane, rename the client side SSID to the same name as the primary router's SSID, choose your channel and you should be good to go.
Message 2 of 3
kriscookuk
Aspirant

Re: Ethernet to Wifi Bridge

Thanks for the tip fordem
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7