× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ex6200 extender won’t stay connected to my Orbi mess system

Mike6612
Aspirant

Ex6200 extender won’t stay connected to my Orbi mess system

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Ex6200 extender won’t stay connected to my Orbi mess system

From the sound of it the base orbi plus 2x satellites should cover your house more than fine. One thing you could try with your extender is to hardwire it to one of the orbi's closest to the camera. The 2.4ghz will penetrate stucco better than the 5ghz and it being hardwired to the satellite will keep it from dropping off the network. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably not really compatible with the Orbi. 

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

You'd be better to add a satellite to the orbi. Or hardwire in the extender.  Orbi dynamically changes which router and wireless channel that devices connect to and this could create problems as @FURRYe38 stated. 

Message 3 of 8
Mike6612
Aspirant

I have two satellites now, are you saying add a thrid satellite and get rid of the NG extender all together?

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you can't hard wire in the extender, that's your best bet.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

If you have the Orbi base and two satellites, you probably don't need the extender. 

@Mike6612 wrote:

I have two satellites now, are you saying add a thrid satellite and get rid of the NG extender all together?

Message 6 of 8
Mike6612
Aspirant

Home size (2900 SF), design (typical 2 story) and the distance from base is about 20 ft to the first satillite and then another 20 ft from that satillite to the second one.  I added the extender because one of my wifi cameras in my security system was having trouble staying connected to the mesh network.  Unfortunately the exterior is stucco so I am trying to penetrate concrete.  The extender seemed to work fine and stay connected to the upstairs satillite but after I did a software version update to the extender is when the problems began.  

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

From the sound of it the base orbi plus 2x satellites should cover your house more than fine. One thing you could try with your extender is to hardwire it to one of the orbi's closest to the camera. The 2.4ghz will penetrate stucco better than the 5ghz and it being hardwired to the satellite will keep it from dropping off the network. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7