× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ex6200 vs Eax20- Do they actually work differently?

Jshoe
Tutor

Ex6200 vs Eax20- Do they actually work differently?

I've had an EX6200 for years with a separate SSID for my network. Im going to switch that to the same SSID of the network. Then I can't easily switch between the the extender and the router. How does the EAX20 solve this issue? It supposedly turns the network into a mesh network. Can someone give me the technical breakdown of how the technology works? It seems as though it's more of a marketing ploy. How does the device know which node to connect to and roam to the next? The EX6200 has this drawback because it holds onto the connection even if weak. Thanks
Model: EX6200v2|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

The EAX20 doesnt control the roaming. 

Newer devices all have their own roaming protocol built in to where they should roaming to the stronger AP based on the details the AP sends to it. . 

Not always stronger based on certain criteria but thats the basics of it. 

so the EAX20 uses the same ssid but has the smart roaming spec built into it. so when a device queries it, it can respond to let the phone/tablet know its details so the phone/tablet can choose which network to content to. 

That's a very very broke down way of explaining it. 

If you want to get more into details, feel free to read here: 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33195-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed

Message 2 of 8
Jshoe
Tutor

So it doesn't do anything different and I have no gain by buying it for mesh networking? In mesh networks I have setup in the past the device hops from AP to AP no issue. This is on an 802.11AC network using the same devices. With my EX6200 my devices stay connected to said EX6200 even if the router has a stronger signal. How is the EAX20 going to fix this for me?
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Didn't necessarily say the EAX20 would fix that. 

The problem is both the router and the device you're using. 

If the router doesn't have the proper roaming protocols, the device won't switch until the signal is quite obviously different/unusable.

If the device itself doesn't have the roaming protocols, then you're in the same situation. 

Mesh networks are great but they aren't quite as efficient when its using pieced together setups like adding extenders. 

If you're truly wanting to go mesh, look into the orbi or MK nighthawk setups where the whole system works together

Message 4 of 8
Jshoe
Tutor

Well what's the protocol? Netgear says it solves this issue with Easy Mesh Extenders. I want the hybrid solution that Netgear says will work a certain way. It's simple. I want what the company says they offer. ASUS AImesh works. Do I need to change brands. Maybe someone who works at Netgear can chime in to explain. Thanks
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Not sure what you expect out of this. 

Feel free to read the article I linked to that tested smart roaming across vendors or read through any of the testing/data on 802.11k/r/v 

Those are the roaming protocols. 

If you're device/router doesn't support it, then it isn't going to be as efficient if the router/devices do support it. 

If you want the best in seamless roaming, then upgrade to a full mesh solution. 

If you just want a basic mesh system, then use a mesh extender with a router that supports roaming. 

If you want a sketchy system, use a mesh extender with a router/device that doesn't support the roaming protocols. 

Not sure what else you expect from this

Message 6 of 8
Jshoe
Tutor

Did I say I wanted a sketchy system? No. I need a hybrid solution that works for me and my needs which Netgear says they support. Cost is also a factor. That's why I'd like to hear from them. No need to be rude. Thanks
Message 7 of 8
Jshoe
Tutor

Anyone else? By the way Netgear..... RAX50 is not listed as a model to select from when posting.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7