× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ex7000 wifi extender firmware upgrade now no internet connection

bronscarpz01
Aspirant

Ex7000 wifi extender firmware upgrade now no internet connection

Netgear wifi extender ex7000 was having poor performance so checked for upgrades. Had a new upgrade so I went ahead and did it. Then followed instructions to reset extender. Did the set up of reconnecting to home wireless router and now thetes no internet connection. Contacted internet providers they said from there end they can see the router sending out the signal but the extender isnt recieving it. Dont know why. Help?
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

I would try resetting and redoing the setup again. Worse case scenario is to reset the router as well. Maybe the router has an internal conflict and it wouldn't be the first ISP provided router that was sketchy. ISP's aren't known for providing fantastic routers. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I would try resetting and redoing the setup again. Worse case scenario is to reset the router as well. Maybe the router has an internal conflict and it wouldn't be the first ISP provided router that was sketchy. ISP's aren't known for providing fantastic routers. 

Message 2 of 13
bronscarpz01
Aspirant

We reset the router twice. Manually and the ISP reset it from there system. Everytime I try to set up the ex7000 after resetting it says that I've successfully created a access point but it doesn't detect any internet connection. The ISP checked router signal and it showed that the route is sending out signals. But frm the router to the extender it's not recieving internet connection.
I reuploaded the previous firmware because everything started from the upload of the new firmware. Idk what else to do.
Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

does it work with the old firmware? Its a good option to take in uploading the old firmware. Just make sure to factory reset anytime you downgrade firmware.

Message 4 of 13
bronscarpz01
Aspirant

Yes. Did the downgrade last night and reset the extender. Spoke with isp tech support and they cant figure it out. They are saying that I might need a new extender which means I'd be out of internet for a week. I'd rather fix this one instead.
Any suggestions as to why it wont allow the wifi extender to proceed and always goes back to access point mode?
Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

@bronscarpz01 wrote:
Yes. Did the downgrade last night and reset the extender. Spoke with isp tech support and they cant figure it out. They are saying that I might need a new extender which means I'd be out of internet for a week. I'd rather fix this one instead.
Any suggestions as to why it wont allow the wifi extender to proceed and always goes back to access point mode?

What do you mean it won't allow the extender to proceed? When you're setting it up, you aren't able to select extender mode?

what router are you connecting to? (make and model)

https://kb.netgear.com/26079/Install-EX7000-as-a-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender

Message 6 of 13
bronscarpz01
Aspirant

It's also a netgear router. When I go thru the process of setting up the wifi connection to the router it has set up wifi extender or access point, so I go thru extender set up and at the end it says I've successfully set up a access point instead of a the wifi extender. When I look at the info on the 2,4ghz and the 5ghz it says that its disconnected.
Message 7 of 13
bronscarpz01
Aspirant

So i went thru the link you added. That's exactly what we did. But at the end where it shows the extender connection. My shows grey bars instead of green & it says the the access point was created but the internet isnt detected.
Message 8 of 13
bronscarpz01
Aspirant

Question. If I plug my extender into the router with a ethernet wire and I get internet access what does that mean?
Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

it means you're in access point mode. Not sure why that its sticking in access point mode. 

Message 10 of 13
bronscarpz01
Aspirant

This afternoon I'm going to hook the extender up to the router with the ethernet cord and see if I can get internet access. If it works then I'll try go thru the process of creating the wifi range extender connection
And lyk. Thank you.
Message 11 of 13
bronscarpz01
Aspirant

Running the ethernet cable frm the extender to the router bypassed whatever it was that was blocking the connection. It gave me the clearance to set up the wireless connection. So I'm up at running. Thank you.
Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it running!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements