× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ex7300 slow 2.4ghz speed with same SSID

sigma47
Aspirant

Ex7300 slow 2.4ghz speed with same SSID

EX7300 Wifi Extender is linked up to a D6400 router in smaller home.Service is fiber and can pull 900+mpbs both ways over wired connection. Mode on EX7300 is set to extender for both 2.4 and 5ghz signals with "enable one wifi name" set True. The speed on the 2.4ghz network is unacceptable its only 1-5 mpbs both up and down. The 5ghz connection through extender works great though. The throughput from the d6400 is 40-50 mbps so with the extender Im seeing a 90% loss. If I turn of "enable one wifi name" and access the extender through the 2.4 ghz  "_EXT" SSID I get 30+ mbps which is what I'd expect. Why won't it work with "one wifi name"? I have latest firmware and have reset and set the device back up a few times. What gives?

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ex7300 slow 2.4ghz speed with same SSID

Hi sigma47,

Welcome to the community! Have you checked to see if your extender is due for a firmware update? You may also try changing the 2.4GHz wireless channel on the router to see if that helps. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 5
sigma47
Aspirant

Yes firmware is most recent. For me this thing has been real spotty. Sometimes it works great other times it doesn't.

I just noticed that the 2.4 ghz SSID is broadcasting as same SSID as the 5G but I don't have fastlane or smart connect enabled. I have cameras that connect to the 2.4ghz and I see they've been offline for 6 days now because they are looking for the 2.4 ghz network. Frustrating to say the least.

From webUI: 

• Hardware Version: EX7300
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.2.144

Message 3 of 5
sigma47
Aspirant

Woke up this morning and my 2.4ghz channel only had 3mbps down over the extender, otoh up was at a respectable 30mbps. This is consistent with all observations to this point. Down is crippled while up seems to function as advertised. 5ghz functions normally. I need 2.4ghz down to function consistently normal as I have home security cams going throuhg extender. Is that possible with this device? I have updated FW, reset multiple times and it seems to be glitchy...any advise before I return it?

Message 4 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sigma47, 

May you try naming the 2.4GHz band a different SSID compared to the 5GHz band. Let us know how this turns out. 

Christian 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series