× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ex7500 looses connection

ae6dx00
Guide

Ex7500 looses connection

I have an EX7500 and a Nighthawk X10.  They have worked fine for the last week or so since I got the EX7500.  Today the EX7500 router light on far left keeps turning red.  Yet I'm able to access mywifiext.local but it shows disconnected under the network (see attached screenshot).  I have not moved anything around.  This judst started all of a sudden.  What can I do to fix this?

I primarily got this to get better coverage outside in the back yard but I've noticed some of my sonos devices have latched on to the extender.  If the extender looses connection so9 do they.  If it goes offline do the devices that were attached to it not try to pick up a signal from the main router (as they were before I had the extender)?

Model: EX7500|AC3000 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @ae6dx00,

I would recommend you to modify wireless channel on the router and check if that helps. If persist, reboot router and extender in sequence to see if that resolve the issue. In case if you still come across the issue, look for interference devices if any. Any bluetooth speakers like Sonos will affect its signal if it is close to it. Try to move them away a bit to see if that helps.

Message 2 of 10
ae6dx00
Guide

How do I know which channel to use?  Router is currently on Auto.  Does the extender have its own channel?

If the extender shows disconnected as in my screenshot how am I able to access its settings page?

Message 3 of 10
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @ae6dx00,

2.4GHz shows disconnected whereas 5GHz is still active, but have weak signal. You can login to it using mywifiext from windows PC or using mywifiext.local from any MAC PC or iOS devices or by IP address of it from android mobile. You cannot change the channel for extender since it reply on router's channel. You can try channels like 1, 6 and 11 for 2.4GHz and 44, 48, 153 for 5GHz. If you have android mobile, you can use wifi analyser app which can help you to identify best channel for your environment.

Message 4 of 10
ae6dx00
Guide

Unfortunatly I only have an iPhone.

Message 5 of 10
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @ae6dx00,

I would recommend you to try the channels suggested for both bands and see which 1 suits for your environment.

Message 6 of 10
ae6dx00
Guide

If the extender goes offline how do I get the devices that were connected to it to get an IP address from the router?  I used to just have a routrer but now that I have the extender when it goes offline so do a lot of devices.

Message 7 of 10
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @ae6dx00,

I'm sure modifying wireless channel on the router will help you better.

Message 8 of 10
ae6dx00
Guide

Modifying the channel did not help.  Netgear support has asked me to send it in for replacement.  Is there a better extender I could use?  Should I have used a Netgear Orbi system?  I originally thought the X10 would cover my small 1,500 sq foot townhouse.

Message 9 of 10
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @ae6dx00,

Orbi would a better option. But X10 must cover the area you mentioned. Try to change channels to optimize wireless connection and check.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7