× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ex7700 connection to router is not stable

DanFountain
Follower

Ex7700 connection to router is not stable

Hi,

My connection to my router is not stable even though its relatively close to the router and my laptop has no issues (also on 5ghz).  Also the connection to the extender is not great from devices.

I have tried using 2ghz as backhaul or both 2/5 but no difference.

One thing i cannot understand is that the options for the wifi that the extender broadcasts is ONLY DFS channels for 5ghz.  It keeps suggesting my router should use DFS channels for the backhaul 5ghz but when i do that direct connections to the router is not great.  Overall why does it not allow me to select something like channel 40 instead of 100+?

Also why can you chose the WIFI connection speed of the broadcast network (yet as above cannot change the channel to 40)?  What the use of that?

Many thanks

Dan

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Ex7700 connection to router is not stable

The EX7700 is a tri-band device, with two 5 GHz radios, each using 80 MHz bandwidth, on a 2x2 MIMO each. One of the 5 GHz radios will be bound to the same channels like your primary WiFi router, the second one must be operated within a reasonable channel spacing. With the Channels 36..48 already in use (the major lower channels allowing 80 MHz bandwidth), there is not much free space left in most regulatory areas, as DFS and/or TPC is mandatory for most applications in the channel range from 100 ... about  Ch. 144.  Above, only few regulatory regions allow typically a singe set of 80 MHz wide channels, in many regulatory areas, these channels are exclusive for max 25 mW EIRP SRD applications. A certain minimum channel spacing is required when operating multiple radios in the similar bands.

Beyond of the EX7700 extender, keep in mind that also the 6 GHz WiFi 6E mode, access points are allowed on pure low-power mode mode, permitted to operate at 24 dBm EIRP (6 dB -below- 5 GHz DFS power levels), and WiFi 6E clients at 18 dBm EIRP (6 dB -below- that of the AP). Many Wi-Fi 5 clients today already operate within these power levels, so WiFi 6E range will be affected by the slightly higher operating frequencies, and the 6 dB power difference (below DFS). You could expect Wi-Fi 6E 6 Gb (in low-power mode) to be around 42% of Wi-Fi 5 DFS channel range - this is perfect on open spaces, but limiting massively where wireless and Mesh systems ae not set-up on free, open space.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series