× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ex7700 extender connection issues and keeps saying incorrect password

Djg1984
Guide

Ex7700 extender connection issues and keeps saying incorrect password

Keep having issues with connection between the extender ex7700 and router r7500.
Up until recently everything had worked perfectly with great connection and no issues at all. Ever since both the router and extender had to be powered down due to electrical testing its never been the same.
Router works fine, no issues at all. Its the extender which is having strange issues , i keep getting incorrect password issues when i clearly know the password is correct. I have reset the extender and reconnected it several times now but still no luck as of yet. Ive managed to get 2.4 ghz network running off the extender but my 5ghz network running off the same extender with the same password keeps throwing me out saying incorrect password. I updated the firmware on both router abd extender to see if that helped but no luck.
I have been connecting the extender to router with wps but maybe now i might try resetting the extender again and try manually configuring it and not let it obtain the security info automatically from the router.
Really cant get my head round this one, everything worked fine before but now im trying to establish the same connection on the same network with the same router and extender, its telling me that my own passwords i created are wrong.
Ive checked all the details on both router and extender by logging into them and all the security info ssid names and passwords, etc looks fine but it tells me they are not.
Any help much appreciated if anyone can solve this.
Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Ex7700 extender connection issues and keeps saying incorrect password

are you on the .210 firmware on the EX7700?

if so, install the .206 version of the firmware, factory reset it, and then do a manual setup on the ex7700. 

I've seen several posts with issues on the .210 

Message 2 of 4
Djg1984
Guide

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Yes i recently updated the extender to the .210 firmware. Wasnt aware there was issues with it so thanks for the info on that. Will go back to the older firmware and see if that works. Im guessing the older firmware .206 is still downloadable.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

yes you can still download the older firmware. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ex7700

I'd try installing that firmware, doing a factory reset and then reinstall. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7