× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ex8000 drops randomly. Connected to c7500.

jbeezley4051
Aspirant

Ex8000 drops randomly. Connected to c7500.

As stated by many others over the years. This extender drops intermittently. It can stay connected for a couple days then all of a sudden just stops connecting to the internet.

My ex8000 is connected via direct Ethernet cable to a c7500 Comcast cable modem.

Have about 30-40 Wi-Fi devices and a 600MB download internet service.

Every once in a while the extender will just stop transferring internet traffic and all the Wi-Fi devices connected will no longer work. And obviously because all the devices are still connected over Wi-Fi to the ex8000, they don’t switch over to the c7500 Wi-Fi which still works.

This happened several times with the previous ex8000 I had. This now starts to happen with the Replacement ex8000.

It usually starts happening couple months. Almost like a defective hardware components t is degrading over time. I’m so sick of netgear issues like this. I’m willing to pay top
Dollar for something that will be 100% reliable. This runs my security equipment and is not acceptable.
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Ex8000 drops randomly. Connected to c7500.

When it happens, are you able to log into the EX8000?

Do devices show "connected, no internet"? 

What firmware version are you on? 

Do all devices drop, just wireles? wired as well? 

have you tried setting a static ip address in the c7500 for the extender? 

Does it happen if its running in extender mode (not hardwired in)?

Message 2 of 8
jbeezley4051
Aspirant

Devices all show no internet. They are still connected to it. Main router and any devices attached to that router are working fine. It’s the latest firmware. Updated it on Friday.

When I get back next week, will have to try the other things suggested. Just frustrating that this happens when I’m out of town. It’s happen led to this router. To the ex8000 I had before. And to the r7000 that was configured as an access point before as well.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

So it happened to a prior EX8000 and to a R7000 (in ap mode) before? 

Does seem to indicate a issue with the c7500. 

I'd start with the static ip address for it. 

Or if its happening monthly, get a cheap smart switch and just schedule a weekly (ish) reboot on the c7500. Make its not reassigning IP addresses when they expire. 

Message 4 of 8
jbeezley4051
Aspirant

I’ve always considered it to be something possibly with the c7500. But the disconnects are so random. Could be a week pass. Or could be couple months. No pattern. Random times of day. Feels more like a attached device triggers it moreso than the c7500 which is far more reliable.
Message 5 of 8
jbeezley4051
Aspirant

Yes it’s a static IP. Just realized that I never setup access points with dhcp addresses so that I can remember what up address to go to to administer the device.

Personally, wish these had better logs to determine what happened around the time of the internet drop.
Message 6 of 8
jbeezley4051
Aspirant

And to further add. When the r7000 used to drop, the main router used to also be a r7000. It used to drive me crazy so I ended up swapping out the main router with a c7500 and the access point with a ex8000 and now the same exact issue with the access point dropping the internet connection. It’s unbelievable. Spent all that money to get the same issue.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

It could be the ISP lease time expiring and your devices not aquiring a new lease. 

That scheduled reboot might be beneficial. Sadly its not built into the device. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7