× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Experience slow speed when connected to Netgear AC1200 EX6120

Jo_C
Follower

Experience slow speed when connected to Netgear AC1200 EX6120

Hello I recently purchased a Netgear AC1200 wifi extender. When connected to the extender, I get ridiculous levels of speed. Without the extender when connected to my Optimum wifi I get between 220 to 260 mbps download speedwhen performing a test on speedtest. net. When connected to the wifi extender I get a download speed somewhere in between 5mbps to 16mbps. I have updated the firmware. While reading other users thread I saw that you mention that with the wifi extender  we might lose about 50% speed and here I am losing all speed. I get this result even when the extender is connected right next to the router. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Experience slow speed when connected to Netgear AC1200 EX6120

A couple things. 

1. are you testing over 2.4ghz or the 5ghz. 2.4ghz is much slower and sensitive to interference. Hitting 20-30mbps is about all you can expect from it. 

2. how far from the router are you? And what materials are in between the 2? (aka what are the walls made of? Certain materials block wifi better than others)

3. at minimum you can expect a 50% speed hit. Reason why is dual band extenders have to use the same chip to go router----extender and then extender---device and they can't do both at once. So even if they're right next to the router, they'll be 50% slower. Add in distance and interference and it can be even less than that by a significant bit. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7