× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Explanation of my Nighthawk EAX80 Dashboard Results

knute97
Aspirant

Explanation of my Nighthawk EAX80 Dashboard Results

I recently set up my EAX80 as a one wifi name/smart connect range extender.

When I look at the mywifiext status page, I see 2.4 and 5 Ghz listed with "no connection".

When I go to the Settings/Connected Devices, I see 2 listings for wifi devices.

Why doesn't the status page show this?  And what does the check box "Enable Access Control" do?

Also, I bought the Nighthawk so that my Ring doorbell might see a stronger signal and give me better audio, but it is not listed as a wifi device while my thermostat (located nearby) is listed.  Do I need to change the one wifi name designation to have the Ring pickup the extender?

Explanations and suggestions would be appreciated as I am confused as to how to evaluate the effectiveness of the extender.

TIA

(BTW EAX80 or AX6000 is not accepted in the Model box)

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Explanation of my Nighthawk EAX80 Dashboard Results

@knute97 wrote:

When I look at the mywifiext status page, I see 2.4 and 5 Ghz listed with "no connection".---Is there a device connected? devices can roam between the router and the extender based on their own roaming protocol.

When I go to the Settings/Connected Devices, I see 2 listings for wifi devices.---If devices are roaming between the router and the extender, it could be one that was prior connected to the extender and is now connected to the router. Or are you just referring to the difference between the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz listing for connected devices. Not sure what you're refering to. 

Why doesn't the status page show this?---show what exactly? a picture/better description might help.  And what does the check box "Enable Access Control" do?---what it sounds like. it enables access control. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24830/How-do-I-use-access-control-to-allow-or-block-devices-from-accessing-th...

Also, I bought the Nighthawk so that my Ring doorbell might see a stronger signal and give me better audio, but it is not listed as a wifi device while my thermostat (located nearby) is listed.  Do I need to change the one wifi name designation to have the Ring pickup the extender?----Potentially. Using the mesh function, its the actual device (ring doorbell, laptop, cell phone, etc) that chooses which to connect to. some devices have more aggressive of roaming protocols versus others. Also, sometimes the device itself chooses to connect to the router because even though the connection might be a little weaker, its own protocol is still saying "connect to the router". Its one of the few downfalls to smart roaming. A lot is dependant on the device maker who coded the doorbell/laptop/etc. 

Explanations and suggestions would be appreciated as I am confused as to how to evaluate the effectiveness of the extender.

TIA

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Explanation of my Nighthawk EAX80 Dashboard Results

@knute97 wrote:

When I look at the mywifiext status page, I see 2.4 and 5 Ghz listed with "no connection".---Is there a device connected? devices can roam between the router and the extender based on their own roaming protocol.

When I go to the Settings/Connected Devices, I see 2 listings for wifi devices.---If devices are roaming between the router and the extender, it could be one that was prior connected to the extender and is now connected to the router. Or are you just referring to the difference between the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz listing for connected devices. Not sure what you're refering to. 

Why doesn't the status page show this?---show what exactly? a picture/better description might help.  And what does the check box "Enable Access Control" do?---what it sounds like. it enables access control. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24830/How-do-I-use-access-control-to-allow-or-block-devices-from-accessing-th...

Also, I bought the Nighthawk so that my Ring doorbell might see a stronger signal and give me better audio, but it is not listed as a wifi device while my thermostat (located nearby) is listed.  Do I need to change the one wifi name designation to have the Ring pickup the extender?----Potentially. Using the mesh function, its the actual device (ring doorbell, laptop, cell phone, etc) that chooses which to connect to. some devices have more aggressive of roaming protocols versus others. Also, sometimes the device itself chooses to connect to the router because even though the connection might be a little weaker, its own protocol is still saying "connect to the router". Its one of the few downfalls to smart roaming. A lot is dependant on the device maker who coded the doorbell/laptop/etc. 

TIA

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7