× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend Nighthawk X10 R9000 Netgear via wired ethernet and one SSID?

Jedermann
Initiate

Extend Nighthawk X10 R9000 Netgear via wired ethernet and one SSID?

Hello,

I have flat with three rooms in a row (A, B & C). The walls are excellent at blocking WiFi.  The 

Nighthawk X10 R9000 Netgear is in room A. I've run ethernet to room C and I wish to purchase an extender that will use the wired Ethernet as a connection to the R9000.   I'd like to have mess capabilities with one SSID and have the client connect to the fastest AP.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the right extender for this?

Background:

- Currently have to use two SSIDs in my small flat because the client loves to grab the slowest connection if I have both APs on the same SSID.  

- Devices like the Nighthawk® AX8 WiFi Mesh Extender seem to require using a WiFi connection to main router, which may not work in my apartment and would not leverage the Ethernet connection between the rooms.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Extend Nighthawk X10 R9000 Netgear via wired ethernet and one SSID?

You're caught in a catch-22. While hardwiring in an access point is the best option, it won't fully "mesh" as the R9000 isn't a mesh router. You can use the same ssid but when ran in AP mode, the access points smart roaming features are disabled so devices tend to be 'sticky' and not roam as well. 

Options? 

1. move the R9000 to room B to see if it has enough power to hit each side

2. pickup a cheap mesh system like the MK60. It supports hardwired backhaul. And you could put one in each room or just one in room A and C. 

3. Try using an extender but run it in AP mode. Either use it with the same ssid and see how "sticky' devices are or use a separate ssid so you can force the roaming when you'd like. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You're caught in a catch-22. While hardwiring in an access point is the best option, it won't fully "mesh" as the R9000 isn't a mesh router. You can use the same ssid but when ran in AP mode, the access points smart roaming features are disabled so devices tend to be 'sticky' and not roam as well. 

Options? 

1. move the R9000 to room B to see if it has enough power to hit each side

2. pickup a cheap mesh system like the MK60. It supports hardwired backhaul. And you could put one in each room or just one in room A and C. 

3. Try using an extender but run it in AP mode. Either use it with the same ssid and see how "sticky' devices are or use a separate ssid so you can force the roaming when you'd like. 

Message 2 of 4
Jedermann
Initiate

Thank you plemans,

I was hoping I didn't understand.  Hopefully Netgear will create something to resolve this in the future that leverages existing investments and doesn't encourage customers to look outside the Netgear line to have a single SSID cover a home.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I'd agree that they need a way for the extenders to function as part of a mesh when ran in ap mode. But then its going to start eating into their orbi/mk nighthawk line of devices. So from their perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense. From the users, it makes a ton of sense. But its been going on since the mesh extenders first came out and is one of the biggest downfalls of them. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7